Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall safes

Default Wall safes

What wisdom does anybody have on the subject of wall safes?

Typically, they are fitted into, or attached to, a wall, and generally have a door with a lock.
    Is there something more particular that interests you about them?

The most common thing I encountered with wall safes is how much their insurance ratings were ignored by their owners. I have opened wall safes so stuffed full of high value contents the insurer would have had a fit ......

I was looking at some wall safes on the internet and was surprised how high the suggested cash coverage figures are.

The main problem I had with them is not with the safe perse as with the fact that lots of modern walls are not really up to the job.

Wallsafes and floorsafes are generally more expensive to afterfit than they're worth. And yes, so few modern walls are suitable. Many modern houses are now timberframe, whilst most post-WW2 houses have have inner leaves of blocks tather than bricks. A good choice is the original outer skin of an outside wall which has become an inside wall as the result of a house extension.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    Wallsafes and floorsafes are generally more expensive to afterfit than they're worth. And yes, so few modern walls are suitable. Many modern houses are now timberframe, whilst most post-WW2 houses have have inner leaves of blocks tather than bricks. A good choice is the original outer skin of an outside wall which has become an inside wall as the result of a house extension.
    We have our own unusual 3 brick which is designed to be gripfilled in with coffer plates that drop down at the back too.
    a wall safe can't be secure like an underfloor safe but it is much more convenient so if they put valuables in a wall safe that is better than leaving them on a table!

I have seen a wall safe embedded in a concrete floor. It came out very easily as it lacked the necessary depth.

I suppose it would be good to install a wall safe as the wall is being built. That way the owner could get some serious fixing on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    I have seen a wall safe embedded in a concrete floor. It came out very easily as it lacked the necessary depth.

I suppose it would be good to install a wall safe as the wall is being built. That way the owner could get some serious fixing on the back.
    In the past I have seen European safes which could only be installed during construction because they had a 2 inch rim at the front and back to slot around the concrete blocks....Mondial perhaps?

That would be a good job of fixing! Are they designed around the dimensions of a standard concrete block? I suppose a wall safe the size of a whole block would be too big for most users. Half a block would work.

I know nothing about bonding bricks and blocks but I suppose it might be easier to do half a block in a corner which is the best spot to mount a wall safe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    That would be a good job of fixing! Are they designed around the dimensions of a standard concrete block? I suppose a wall safe the size of a whole block would be too big for most users. Half a block would work.

I know nothing about bonding bricks and blocks but I suppose it might be easier to do half a block in a corner which is the best spot to mount a wall safe anyway.
    As I remember it, they weren't suited to the British market because they were too deep to fit in our walls but were about 9 inch by 9 inch.

Thread Information