Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall safes

I've seen one conventional wall safe that was installed when the wall was being built. It was locked 'open' and a good thing too, the wall settlement squashed the body so much I had to grind the top door edge to get it to work again.

Can't have had much guts to it! Worth remembering, though.

I know wall safes have no fire resistance ratings but I would imagine they are better than an equivalent freestanding plate safe.

I suppose the moral of the story of the bent wall safe is, if doing this, span it with a lintel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    As I remember it, they weren't suited to the British market because they were too deep to fit in our walls but were about 9 inch by 9 inch.
    So, on the basis that a wallsafe isn't just any bricked in safe, when were the first wallsafes made which were purpose designed for fitting in walls? They would have a rim at the back and/or drop down coffin plates at the rear.

I saw one in the guard rom of a mediaeval castle. Does that count?

Chubb made a series of 1, 2 or 3 brick sized wallsafes for many years. I don't know when they started but it was long before my time. There was a company making the unimaginatively called "1 Brick Wall Safe". The ones I have seen were very low quality.

The Chubb ones weren't bad but the fixings were poor. They were also very expensive for what they were. They also produced a better model with a bolt throwing knob.

Optional extras were a second lock on the larger sizes. That was for dual control although it would also increase the security. Also they did one with a slot in it designed for an alms box in a church or similar applications. One of their leaflets used to claim that one of these had survived an attack. The church found the end of a cold chisel or someting similar inside the box. It had snapped off during the attack. So whoever had installed that one had done the job right!

Thread Information