Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unlocking Grecian post off boxes

I recently purchased a bank of post office boxes, but do not have keys. I was wondering if anyone knew how to unlock these beautiful doors to make them usable.

Thanks,

Kathy Love
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0687A.jpg   IMG_0688A.jpg   IMG_0686A.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    I recently purchased a bank of post office boxes, but do not have keys. I was wondering if anyone knew how to unlock these beautiful doors to make them usable.
    Thanks,Kathy Love Birmingham, Alabama
    I was thrown off by your use of the term "Grecian". Those are USPS postal boxes and the United States Post Office is the exclusive user of Yale type H-308 and Ilco 999-RA keyways. According to 18 USC 1704 no person can legally sell blanks or cut or sell keys for these locks. Postal inspectors take this very seriously and offenders can be fined or imprisoned or both. Note that this key is the exact reverse of the popular Yale 11. The good news is that CompX National offers C9300, C9400 & C9500 postal locks which are used for private delivery mail boxes and should replace the USPS versions. Suggested list is $14.52-$15.91 each depending upon model and these can be sourced from locksmiths or hardware distributors. See pdf at the link.
    http://compx.com/images/natl-usps-locks-flyer-lo.pdf

Pete Schifferli

For the sake of completeness, here is a link to the previously-mentioned law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1704

Looking at the lock cylinder look like Yale. Not sure if this one will work but have to look inside to see if it is the same. If it same lock cylinder can order from here...Timothy....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USPS01.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	16774 http://www.wholesale4inc.com/products/U.S.P.S.-Post-Office-Box-Cylinder,-Yale-8-Keyway,-KD,-Satin-Brass-Finish.html......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails U.S.P.S Post Office Box Cylinder 1.jpg   U.S.P.S Post Office Box Cylinder 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Looking at the lock cylinder look like Yale. Not sure if this one will work but have to look inside to see if it is the same. If it same lock cylinder can order from here...Timothy....http://www.wholesale4inc.com/products/U.S.P.S.-Post-Office-Box-Cylinder,-Yale-8-Keyway,-KD,-Satin-Brass-Finish.html......
    Timothy's link is to the Ilco 7835YA-04-KD which is equal to the CompXNational C9500. C9500 has a suggested list of $15.91 while 7835YA-04-KD is $29.75 suggested list, about twice the price!

Pete Schifferli

Pete
    The only reason I put it there as some people would like keep it same as lock that already was on there. I knew the price was going to be differ as most people will spent the money to make it look like antique lock....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Pete
    The only reason I put it there as some people would like keep it same as lock that already was on there. I knew the price was going to be differ as most people will spent the money to make it look like antique lock....Timothy....
    The two locks are identical in material, finish and appearance and meet applicable USPS specifications. Both manufacturers and others have furnished such locks, but with the USPS keyway; to the Post Office under contract.

Pete Schifferli

[QUOTE=Pschiffe;25339]I was thrown off by your use of the term "Grecian". Those are USPS postal boxes and the United States Post Office is the exclusive user of Yale type H-308 and Ilco 999-RA keyways. According to 18 USC 1704 no person can legally sell blanks or cut or sell keys for these locks. Postal inspectors take this very seriously and offenders can be fined or imprisoned or both. Note that this key is the exact reverse of the popular Yale 11. The good news is that CompX National offers C9300, C9400 & C9500 postal locks which are used for private delivery mail boxes and should replace the USPS versions. Suggested list is $14.52-$15.91 each depending upon model and these can be sourced from locksmiths or hardware distributors. See pdf at the link.
    http://compx.com/images/natl-usps-locks-flyer-lo.pdf

Pete Schifferli

[/QUOTE Pete thank you so much for the information from your link and the picture Timothy sent I think I can replace the locks and make this a usable and interesting piece of furniture for my jewelry studio. I can even lock up my sterling silver supplies and sheet metal. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0400[1].JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	17024

]

[QUOTE=Timothy;25374]Pete
    The only reason I put it there as some people would like keep it same as lock that already was on there. I knew the price was going to be differ as most people will spent the money to make it look like antique lock....Timothy....[/QUOTE Timothy, Thank you so much for the information. The pictures is exactly like the locks on my bank of boxes. ]

Thread Information