Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Yale locker; lever locks

Hello, I came over here on the recommendation of another member of a different lock forum. I am looking to find out what the correct key blank is for some old Yale lever locks.
    If you would like some backstory; a friend of mine has a locker bank with 6 different lockers in it. One of which seems to be damaged since it can be turned and unlocked without a key. My friend wants to keep the locks in the lockers and has asked me to impression keys for them.
    I know I will need flat steel keys but I do not know which ones. The closest measurements being the ilco 1370 which is showing up at .050" thickness and .305" width. The only picture I have appears as though the blank is much longer than it needs to be.
    Or should I go with something that's got different measurements?

The length from the bottom of the lock to the keyway is about 1.25", and the keyway measures .06" thick and .312" wide.

Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
    Hello, I came over here on the recommendation of another member of a different lock forum. I am looking to find out what the correct key blank is for some old Yale lever locks.
    If you would like some backstory; a friend of mine has a locker bank with 6 different lockers in it. One of which seems to be damaged since it can be turned and unlocked without a key. My friend wants to keep the locks in the lockers and has asked me to impression keys for them.
    I know I will need flat steel keys but I do not know which ones. The closest measurements being the ilco 1370 which is showing up at .050" thickness and .305" width. The only picture I have appears as though the blank is much longer than it needs to be.
    Or should I go with something that's got different measurements?

The length from the bottom of the lock to the keyway is about 1.25", and the keyway measures .06" thick and .312" wide.

Any help is appreciated!
    Any flat steel key blank can be easily cut down in length. If these are standard flat steel locker locks, Yale used their old R381-1/2 blank for many of these which were about .300 wide x .065 thick and came in 1", 1-1/4", 1-3/4" and 2" lengths depending upon the thickness of the material they were mounted in, closest substitution is Ilco 1332S which is .300 wide x .060" thick. Note that most all these locks were masterkeyed.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Any flat steel key blank can be easily cut down in length. If these are standard flat steel locker locks, Yale used their old R381-1/2 blank for many of these which were about .300 wide x .065 thick and came in 1", 1-1/4", 1-3/4" and 2" lengths depending upon the thickness of the material they were mounted in, closest substitution is Ilco 1332S which is .300 wide x .060" thick. Note that most all these locks were masterkeyed.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for the help! That was quick and easy. I will pick up some 1332s and give it a go!

Thread Information