Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale Book of Finishes c1934

Seeing the post by Union in the Latest News section of COLTi: http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...5328#post25328 reminded me of The Yale Book of Finishes in our Archive. It contains the chemical formulas and processes for the finishes of Yale products in the first half of the 20th century. After a three page introduction there are 4 pages or an index of the finish and its description followed by 74 pages of formulas. Fascinating stuff especially if restoration or reproduction to match existing or just to enlighten in the way it used to be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishes1934-01-817.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	716.0 KB 
ID:	16695 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishes1934-01-01-766.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	16696 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishes1934-01-02-764.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	16697 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishes1934-01-03-764.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	16698 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishes1934-01-04-764.jpg 
Size:	1,019.0 KB 
ID:	16699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishes1934-01-08-764.jpg 
Size:	914.4 KB 
ID:	16700

If there is sufficient interest I could get the whole book (about 100 pages) scanned and placed in one of the libraries here...

Default Yale lock finishes

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for sharing what you have. I think this would be great information to have in the libraries. I am just getting into lock collecting in a serious way and would really appreciate knowing how to reproduce the finishes on these lock. I find that the older finishing techniques seem to apply to more than just their specific purpose. For instance some of the Japanning used on old planes are appropriate for other items as well. In my opinion it is always good to have this information available for those that wish to restore as opposed to leaving original. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Thanks Greg, I'm not sure you can just buy some of those 'ingredients' but its certainly interesting to see just how the end result was achieved. Lets see if it inspires anyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post

If there is sufficient interest I could get the whole book (about 100 pages) scanned and placed in one of the libraries here...
    Yes, I think that would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Pete Schifferli

Just to understand history and make it available to future generations would be strong incentive to scan and add to the library. It is sites like this that help people like me understand the past and how we got where we are today. And, although purist state that things are only original once, having a clue how to restore a lock (as opposed to refurbish) would be of interest to me.

Thanks,
    Greg

OK Greg and Pete - I will get one of our museum helpers to scan it might take a week or two between other jobs, but we will make a start.

Whilst on the subject of Libraries can I bring to every body's attention the Members Library here, I'm sure most of us have the odd document or patent spec etc. that would benefit others, so do upload and help make it a truly first class library on the subject.

If the library is a resource that's well received and used I'm sure there are lots of other useful things in our own archive that could be added as well.

Another point about the library; there are several documents there waiting to be translated, so if you do know another language that to would be a great help the community.

Anyway will let you know when the 'Finishes' book has been added.

Default Yale finishes info

Worth telling the Tools & Trades History Society where to find this when it's available — they might also find it of interest/use.

Thread Information