Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default 4 Lever Indian Padlock--Fake?

Hello All,

A friend acquired this lock and we're curious as to it's authenticity. In a quick search, it'd seam there are many 'fakes' that look like this lock. Are there any tips to tell whether this is a real vintage or a fake new lock?

Stamped, mostly legible, with several characters rubbed/worn away, there are several words and a date.
    On the brass keyhole cover is stamped very legibly: 4 LEVER

Arching above the keyhole, partially legible, ...First character illegible then CVT.C.P HANDICRAFT and then: ALIGARH is level across.

Somewhat haphazardly angled, 4 numbers, possibly a date, to the left of the keyhole: 1842
    Just a tad to the right of the date: hardly legible: possibly a C, likely an M and then 123 (CM123)
    Just below the upper right large rivot, somewhat haphazardly stamped: 11 4

The backside has not markings at all.

The key is stamped with: 4 0

From what I've gathered so far, ALIGARH is a city in India, suggesting this lock may have originated from India. The design/shape seams to match that of prison or security locks, which seem to be more popularly faked. The key shape is similar to what I've seen other's comment as being from India as well.

If it is a fake, it fooled me, although I know nothing about locks. This lock is 5" tall.

And if anyone is so inclined, what would the value of such a lock be?

Appreciatively,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img317.jpg  

Default Re: 4 Lever Indian Padlock--Fake?

It's not a fake at all. It is exactly what it appears to be, namely an Indian padlock. Where the fakes occur is when such locks are stamped with spurious markings for prisons etc.

The design of lock is common enough, being based on an english victorian design. The big problem with these locks is dating them as they are still being made today with the same tools, techniques and to the same design of 100 + years ago.

As to value, not much at all. I would hazard a guess at around $20 or so to a collector of locks.

Thread Information