APECS AP CYLINDERS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70mm_BSN Keyways SQUARE.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	16668 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apecs AP KM3 cylinder Keyways.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	977.4 KB 
ID:	16669

Having successfully established ourselves among customers and partners with our APECS XS Kitemark 1-star cylinder, we now believe the time is right to upgrade our existing security systems. The increasing demand for high security locks and our own expertise in the area prompted the APECS London office to look into the development of more advanced solutions. In November 2015 we proposed the concept of the anti-snap cylinder to our colleagues in Beijing and Shanghai.
This international operation required very close communication and collaboration between the offices in the UK and China. The development took place in our own Shanghai factory with Beijing acting as the operations centre between London and Shanghai. To meet the objectives of this project our team of dedicated engineers developed a high-security cylinder with a three-piece structure and an interlocking cam mechanism. This design significantly increases the cylinder’s durability, making it harder to break than a one-piece structure or a traditional anti-snap feature. The cylinder also comes with a security dimple key with a milled track to increase security and differs. External and internal bodies are connected with a cam protection block, made of high-strength carbon steel, making it more resistant to any type of force.
Martin Hensberg from Doc 4 Locks in Okehampton was one of the first to try the new lock. “The AP cylinder looks sturdy and stands up to attack. After my testing of it I think it is rugged and can take a real beating,” he says.
The cylinder cores are connected to the cam using a set of solid steel spheres on the circumference. The importance of this structure is that it minimizes the gap between the external cylinder core and the cam. This also allows for a smoother rotation of the cylinder core, increasing the cylinder’s life cycle.
The external side of the cylinder has a sacrificial cut. If the cylinder is attacked by the usual methods of snapping or plug extraction, the external core snaps off at the sacrificial cut.
A a result of snapping, the interlocking pin mechanism is triggered, causing the spring to push the inner clutch into the cam, and activating the pin inside to shoot out and lock the cam. At the same time, the inner clutch engages the cam with the cylinder core. Once the locking mechanism is engaged, it prevents further external damage and manipulation of the cam, while simultaneously allowing the lock to be operated from the inside in case of an emergency. Danny Thorpe, managing director of Lockskeys in London, also tried the cylinder recently. He says: “I like the keyway, the dimple key and track and the idea of having the interlocking clutch, where the key turns but the cam doesn’t, which other euro cylinders don’t have. I think the APECS AP would hold up a lot stronger than some other cylinders out there. I would recommend it.”
With lock snapping being a growing concern for everyone, creating the type of cylinder that would minimise our customers’ risk of becoming victims of burglary was a top priority. From the start, our research and development team worked towards creating a lock that aspired to obtain the Sold Secure Diamond Standard approval. In September 2016 our APECS AP cylinder was granted the SS312 specification. “I’m looking forward to having a reasonably priced Diamond Standard euro cylinder that offers excellent security. Well done APECS,” says Martin Hensberg.
Today, the key-key cylinder comes in sizes ranging from 70mm to 110mm and finishes including brass and satin nickel. A dual core cylinder is also available from the range. For more information about the APECS AP, please visit www.apecs.co.uk or call 0207 349 9888.
=======
Please mention COLTi Announce when responding to this post.