Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help with lock identification

Hi,
    I found this site trying to find some info. on a lock I have.

Would anyone know the age, manufacturer or original use?

There are no markings on the lock or key.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0004.jpg   DSCF0006.jpg   DSCF0005.jpg   DSCF0003.jpg   DSCF0007.jpg  

DSCF0009.jpg   DSCF0008.jpg  

Cannot believe this, have just stumbled upon this thread/request (originally) posted in the miscellaneous questions forum back in 2008. Eleven years too late unfortunately, but, what you have there OP is an unmarked example of one of these;
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...ks-amp-Latches
    Hopefully the OP might receive an email notification or somehow get to see this.
    I will also add a link over on Sprockets’ thread back to this one..
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 03-08-19 at 10:23 PM.

Default Help with Lock Identification-Needle Lock.

Martin Cummins (Alias Sprockets)

Can't believe, Huw, that you recognised it, as initially the pictures do not show needles, so you must have looked at all! That's dogged determination! Strange that there is no numbering or identification, suggesting that it was made by someone not trained as a locksmith, which would figure as the inventor seemed to cover many different areas, many of not much merit!

Since the key was made first, and then used to orient the needles, which had pointed ends to mark a smoked "receiver", perhaps each key was filed freehand, so no need for identification.
    I imagine that they were made upon an order being received, as part of other manufactures, which is why so few (One) have survived, despite possibly sixteen years of availability.

Thread Information