Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mystery Star Shaped Escutcheon

Hi and a "Happy new year" to everyone when it happens. I've acquired this escutcheon and the text is a bit worn on places, does anyone recognise it as a Chubb escutcheon? I think I may have seen it before on fleabay listed as a Chubb escutcheon but my memory stopped serving me well many moons ago so help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0955.JPG   IMG_0954.JPG   IMG_0953.JPG  

Not chubb IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Not chubb IMHO.
    I'll bow down to your expertise Oldlock. I look at so many plaques and escutcheons that I sort of confused myself. Plus with the top half of the stamped coat of arms missing I was blind guessing. I had not came across a star shaped safe escutcheon until about a month ago on fleabay when I noticed one selling among an auction lot including several other escutcheons and safe plaques. Needless to say I didn't win that one as it went above my best bid so I was quite pleased when this one turned up last week. Hopefully someone may recognise it and solve my mystery.

I think it's from a no-name third tier victorian maker with spurious markings.

For the markings to have been 'right' for Chubb it would have been pre-1830 or thereabouts with a large direct throw iron door lock with a much bigger key.

I think it's from a no-name third tier victorian maker with spurious markings.

For the markings to have been 'right' for Chubb it would have been pre-1830 or thereabouts with a large direct throw iron door lock with a much bigger key.
    It never even occurred to me that key size could/would be a way to rule Chubb out. I've tried my early Chubb safe keys out of curiosity rather than unbelief and your certainly right Oldlock. That's the difference between a professional and a collector, collectors hope they have something special whereas professionals know when they have something special. Thanks once again.

Remember also, how Mr Chubb railed against unscrupulous 19C safemakers who bought-in unsuitable genuine Chubb locks (usually cabinet locks, as Chubb did not sell safe locks to any other maker) so they could truthfully mark their safe (a 'jewelled gew-gaw', as Mr Chubb described them) "Chubb Lock".

Indeed - like this one on ebay at the moment :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	16717

. So this is not a genuine Chubb safe and only has an inferior chubb lock that Chubb would not put on one of their own branded safes?

Correct - usually a drawer lock; and in those days, likely fitted to shoot upwards.

Curiously, there are a couple of those coat of arms badges on Ebay currently. Do they look pre-1837? not that I am a heraldic expert.

Thread Information