Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring

Default Found it.

[QUOTE=Safeone;25229]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post

Wow! how interesting that its actually you in the photo. Wonder where and why I first saw this ? Got me thinking that has....
    Should have remembered Safeone. It's in a section of my Safeman site .....

http://www.safeman.org.uk/moderntimes.htm

.... under the heading Hydraulic and Mechanical Jacks.

Great minds ! Just 30 seconds ago I found it but cant copy & paste on here for some reason, when I tried I noted your post. Anyway 2 x 12mm Rawbolts made it unmoveable. Is this what actually happened ?

I always wondered what would happen if somebody got a jack under the door edge of a TDR Chubb. They were well proud of the frame.

Of course 2 fixing holes would make a spinning attack useless.

Higher grade safes have increasing numbers of fixings, I understand?
    As many as five?
    Not sure if they are all base though, or if fixings are ever made through the backs or sides.

I remember John Tann not providing fixing holes on their heavy safes (and they were seriously heavy). I was told, I think by Tann, that they didn't do this because so to do would compromise the safe. I never quite understood that- how one or two relatively small holes would cause a problem, but they knew more about the subject than I did!

Would any breach of the sides compromise the rating ? Mike Palmer sent me any interesting article some years ago on the cash drop facilities fitted to safes and how these were reducing cash rating because of the alleged weakness these could present.

I think a John Tann Diamond would do me just fine.

Some other safes to consider from down this way would be the Wormald 8000 out of Australia. This is a full 6 sided Anti Arc Safe,with curved glass protecting the locks, plus complete Manganese shroud completely covering the entire locking area from all sides. I believe there were only 8 x Wormald 8000's made.

Ratner is another manufacturer who were based in Melbourne, Australia and made some very high spec custom made safes, and depending on the situation, had there safes inspected by a Lloyds representative during manufacture. I was lucky enough to visit the Ratner Factory on a number of occasions and witnessed some very out of control safes being manufactured. I believe Ratner was sold a few years back, and now no longer manufacture safes although I am not sure of this.

The Kingdom KZ Anti Arc series of safes out of New Zealand were also very well made, and the ones made in the late 1980's were very well engineered, and are an absolute nightmare to drill, even with modern drilling equipment.

These safes had to stand and defend for a long time, as there are some very remote locations in Australia and New Zealand that would not get a quick security response.

Sorry the previous reply had nothing to do with anchoring. Was supposed to go into Ultimate safe area. Long Day!

Information on the Wormald 8000 can be found here https://citysafes.com.au/printbrochu...x/index/id/892

Thread Information