Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Meilink Home Deposit Vault

This safe has been in my wife's family at least since about 1940. We'd like to learn anything we can about it. We will NOT sell it. Approximate dimensions are 22 inches high, 14 inches wide, and 16 inches deep (not including the handle). Stamped on the handle is C 44685. I've attached 3 pictures, let me know if more would be useful.

Does anyone have an idea when this was made? It would also be nice to know what it might weigh since I have to move it next week.

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meilink Open.jpg   Meilink Closed.jpg   Meilink Dial.jpg  

Wow! Beautiful safe!

I have seen here, that information can be stamped on the door's edge. Have you looked there?

We don't see anything stamped on the door edge

Probably too late but it weighs 175lbs. The pic is from the Meilink 1910 catalog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161227_161703.jpg  

Doug - Thanks for the info and you're not too late. I don't have to move it until tomorrow and I'll be very careful.

Ours appears to have more ornate decorations than the picture from the 1910 catalog. Would that make it likely to be newer or older?

With the door fully opened it should be able to lift straight up off the hinge pins. Makes the box a little lighter and easier to lift. It's a wonderful looking safe, good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you haven't moved it yet, you could do worse than putting a blast of WD40 on the wheels in advance.

I had mentioned that I needed to move the safe. Here's how it went: In an effort to preserve the safe, and my 60+ year old body, I rolled it onto a 17 inch square piece of plywood (the wheels turn easily and silently), levered up one side at a time and put non slip bed wheel cups under the wheels, wrapped it in padding, got a hand truck under the plywood, and tied it in place. With a little help from my son, I easily rolled it out of the house, down three steps, and up a ramp into the UHaul truck with the rest of our furniture. Carefully tied in place, it rode the 35 miles to our new home without problems.

The movers I hired to unload the truck took one look, asked where I wanted it, picked it up and carried into the house.

This safe has lived most of it's life in closets: ours, my wife's parents', her grandparents'. Now it's in our Family Room. It's too beautiful to hide and too heavy to be worth stealing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by qmmidway75 View Post
    The movers I hired ... picked it up and carried into the house.
    It sounds to me like you should consider anchoring it: http://www.antique-locks.com/showthread.php/4691-Anchoring

Thread Information