Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New key collection

Hi, just bought a collection of keys. One or two stand out and as most of my knowledge comes from a collectors point of view is there anything anybody can comment on. I know nothing about the trefoil keys or the other two with fancy bows. Some others have nice turning to the shafts. They were pretty grim so have gave them a clean with a drop of oil. Eventually I will give them a good clean and polish on the buffer but as I have to do it outdoors the weather dictates when. How I would love a workshop indoors! Thanks for any comments in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0905.JPG   IMG_0904.JPG   IMG_0903.JPG   IMG_0907.JPG   IMG_0906.JPG  

IMG_0909.JPG   IMG_0910.JPG   IMG_0911.JPG  

Nice keys - I used to use garryflex blocks and then finish on the polishing wheel of a buffer and the fantastic steel used back then used to come back a treat.

i prefer the old look
    i think old keys may look old
    it is not necessary to to polish

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    i prefer the old look
    i think old keys may look old
    it is not necessary to to polish
    Yes Gerry I know where your coming from and if they don't have rust on I'm tempted to leave alone but these are fairly rusted on places so I'll probably polish like the rest of my collection. Some I am going to sell so I may just leave them for the new owner to choose to their taste. If I was investing I would probably leave as is, but I only trade occasionally and only to refine my safe key collection. There are several I did not show that are heavily corroded which take a fair amount of work to polish but the end results are amazing and they actually look kind of organic with the serious pitting mixed with highly polished iron. I'll post some pics when they're finished to show what I mean. Thanks for comments though. Respect to you!

every collection/collector is different,
    this is what they make so interesting
    and unique.

all my keys are older than 200 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    every collection/collector is different,
    this is what they make so interesting
    and unique.

all my keys are older than 200 years.
    I would love to see a few of your favourites from your collection Gerry if you ever have the time and patience. I don't know anybody other than you guys who collect keys so I'm keen to see others prized possessions at any opportunity that arises.

hello warren63,

i have send you a private message some days ago.

best regards

Thread Information