Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yes, not surprisingly, Wylk is correct. A few more pictures to take and the lock will be back together, so if there are questions, ask them now. It will be several months before the lock is installed back into the safe, but I am making up a mounting stand so the lock can be checked for proper operation. On the safe , one dial was hard to turn, so checking it on the mounting stand will help to locate where the problem is. And so far it looks like it was a mounting alignment problem in the safe.

Seeing that you are going to mount it up, how about making a video of the lock in action? I know it can be a challenge to make one but maybe you can round up a family or neighborhood teenager that could whip it up and edit it in minutes on his phone?

Most of us could never hope to see one in action.

Default Yale 101 1/2

24 March 2017

I enjoyed this post on the Yale lock. I have this on my Ely Norris. I have not attempted to change the combination. Both dial are set on 50. How difficult or risky is it?

Also, have you seen the monster Corliss for sale on Ebay?

Texaschilli

The first Ely-Norris I disassembled had a lock like yours. For the curious, here's another version of the Yale 101 1/2. It's a little different.

I pulled this one from a cannonball that was slated to be melted down. The best part? When I opened it, it still contained the entire timelock assembly!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_8653b.jpg   DSC_8643b.jpg   DSC_8488b.jpg  

Default Yale Y361 spring motor

12 October 2017

Mr. MacQueen,

I would like to ask for your assistance. I removed the Yale Y361 time lock from my Eli Norris cannonball for safekeeping while it was sanded and painted. That turned into a disaster, and the person kept my safe over 540 days then blasted it with no prep.

The timelock worked perfectly before I pulled it out. Now the spring motor will not retract the locking bolts. Is there a trick to putting the timelock back in like prewinding the spring or something to create tension?

My winding disc only turns about a quarter turn before engaging the locking pawls of the clocks and there is not enough energy stored in the spring to retract the bolts when the clocks time out. The bolts retract about a third of the way and hang.

Thanks for any insight,

Jody Sims

Jody, post a picture of the time lock so I can see the position of the mainspring winding disc. Also if you took pictures as you disassembled the time lock post them as well. I am unable to post pictures onthe forum at this time. But to answer your question, yes the mainspring requires a preload to fully retract the bolts. There are other possible causes of your problem, such as are the bolts freely moving in the door bolt holes. Was the slotted pinion gear properly aligned with the mainspring pinion? It has been a couple years since I last worked on one and have to relearn how they work every time. Anyway as long as you are not in a hurry, I am currently cleaning and lubing the movements of a Y-361 and when finished will be checking it for proper operation. As I do this I will photograph the assembly. By then I should be able to post the pictures, but that won't happen real soon.

Default Y 361 Spring Motor

Mr. MacQueen,

On my Ely-Norris safe, the trim ring around the Y-361 timelock does not have a cut out or notch around the timelock cover hinge. So there it is impossible to remove the trim ring from around the brass timelock case without taking out the part that holds the watch mechanisms. That gives access to four bolts that secures the case to the safe door. The brass timelock case has to be removed to get the trim ring off. So I did that which expose the locking mechanism.

I did not disassemble the lock works, other than to take off the gear that engages the spring motor. It is keyed so can only go back one way. I put it back with the engraved numbers facing out which is how the gear came off. It has play in it by way of two slots and can rotate about a quarter turn. This seems to be so that when the locking bolts are released then the gear can rotate without having to wind the spring motor. Otherwise the release springs would be fighting against the winding springs. Right??

I think when I removed the part holding the clocks from the brass case, then the spring motor might or must have come unwound some and lost tension. I just cannot remember. I have never removed the spring motor from the case and would not be dumb enough to mess with it. It looks fine and I have sprayed it with WD-40 and then some Remington Gun oil. There seem to be two of them.

Because of the way the time lock case must be removed for the trim ring around it to be removed, I am at a loss to figure out how to put the clocks and case with the spring motor back together. There is no way that I can see to assemble the two together and install as a single unit. The clock mechanism blocks access to the four bolts that secure the base to the safe door.

Here is a picture of the timelock winding disc, but with it detached from the spring motor it can rotate to most any position. The lug on the back has a bevel so that it attaches to the spring motor only in one way.

Hope you can help me.

Jody Sims

Default Y 361 Spring Motor

Mr. MacQueen,

You pointed me in the right direction and were spot on that the spring motor has to be pre-tensioned. I found this picture I took of the spring motor spring before I removed the time lock case. I stuck a screwdriver in the square hole and wound the spring and held it as I engaged the spring motor square shaft with the pinion and bolted the brass case back in.

My timeclock is working fine now.

Thanks again for the tip.

Jody Sims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM01573.jpg  

Jody, glad to be of help. It is common on spring loaded devices to have a preload and this includes the time lock movements themselves. Doug

Default Yale lock hard to turn

Mr. McQueen,

Thank you for all your help in the past. I haven't been on this site for a while. I have an Ely Norris Cannonball with the Yale dual locks. My problem is the dials have become increasingly harder and harder to turn. Is there a way to lubricate the two combination locks?

Thanks,

Jody Sims

Thread Information