Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Salesman's Sample? 1882 Patent Ames Sword "Perfection" Padlock

Hello Everyone. I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me with these padlocks. I am collector of antiques and lover of all things old. The passion in my collecting however, is antique kerosene/whale oil lanterns. A friend had been looking to buy one of my best/favorite lanterns for a long time and I always turned him down. Last month, he came by with some cash in his pocket and this box with three never used, near mint condition, brass "Perfection" padlocks with Sept 1882 Patent dates and I fell in love with them! (And there went my lantern!)

For the last month, I have been trying to find out if I should be still crying over the lantern, or joyful over these padlocks. I found that they were made by the Ames Sword Co. of Chicopee, Massachusetts circa 1890's and the two regular locks are of the expected value but I have no idea how to appoint a value to the salesman's sample. At least that's what I think it is, based on the cutaways that show how the gearing works when you turn the key. Just awesome to me!

Now...how I figure value on that piece? Would they be worth more as a set if I decide to buy my lantern back?? LOL!! Thanks!!

Default Can't upload a pic?

Forgot to attach the picture...can't edit the post. It didn't let me upload the better, higher resolution pics...only this one. Sorry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1998.JPG  

Default Now I know...

I had originally posted as a newbie...hoping that somebody might respond or reply. I heard nothing...

I listed them on eBay at a fairly aggressive price and although there were over 100 views and 30 watchers, nothing happened there either.

I relisted them last week at a lower price and they will sell since there is a bid. For those who keep track of selling prices, it seems $400 will be the most recent value (or selling price.)

Hope this info helps the next person who finds one!

Quote Originally Posted by RPMRog View Post
    Hello Everyone. I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me with these padlocks. I am collector of antiques and lover of all things old. The passion in my collecting however, is antique kerosene/whale oil lanterns. A friend had been looking to buy one of my best/favorite lanterns for a long time and I always turned him down. Last month, he came by with some cash in his pocket and this box with three never used, near mint condition, brass "Perfection" padlocks with Sept 1882 Patent dates and I fell in love with them! (And there went my lantern!)

For the last month, I have been trying to find out if I should be still crying over the lantern, or joyful over these padlocks. I found that they were made by the Ames Sword Co. of Chicopee, Massachusetts circa 1890's and the two regular locks are of the expected value but I have no idea how to appoint a value to the salesman's sample. At least that's what I think it is, based on the cutaways that show how the gearing works when you turn the key. Just awesome to me!

Now...how I figure value on that piece? Would they be worth more as a set if I decide to buy my lantern back?? LOL!! Thanks!!

Thread Information