Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Clinton mortise cylinder

a friend sent me this pic - I have not heard of this brand and was not able to find any information. I am sure someone here knows about this company...thanks in advance!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clinton.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	821.1 KB 
ID:	16477

Jeff
    I did a few of that awhile back. As I think they still made blank for it. Look into your Ilco key blank directory should be there. I have no of went they made these lock but I'm sure someone will come up with answer....Timothy....

Thanks...he's got a key for it, just curious about the actual company.

I'm still looking but so far nothing yet....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I'm still looking but so far nothing yet....Timothy....
    The Key Collectors International catalog reprints by the late Don Stewart shows two items for Clinton Lock Co. (Iowa):
    • CN-01 Locks & Keys Cat #31 30 pgs
    • CN-02 Locks & Keys Cat #38 40 pgs

These can still be purchased from Richard Chenovick of West Coast Lock Collectors Assn:

I did some research on Clinton Locks when I found some original Clinton key blanks:
    According to the National Register, The Clinton Lock Company was established in 1896 by David Batchelder. The Clinton key blanks and Clinton locks were manufactured in Clinton Iowa in the late 1800's. I don't think they were in business very long, because they only made one maybe 2 keyways Ilco CL1.

Here's a couple of pics of the original blanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cl1a.jpg   cl2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by AcmeKeys View Post
    I did some research on Clinton Locks when I found some original Clinton key blanks: According to the National Register, The Clinton Lock Company was established in 1896 by David Batchelder. The Clinton key blanks and Clinton locks were manufactured in Clinton Iowa in the late 1800's. I don't think they were in business very long, because they only made one maybe 2 keyways Ilco CL1. Here's a couple of pics of the original blanks.
    I'm guessing that they may have survived into the 1930s or later, assuming that catalogs #31 and #38 noted in my earlier post were issued in 1931 and 1938 respectively. I've heard that many of the olde time lock manufacturers failed during the Great Depression of 1929-39. I've seen Clinton locks in a public housing development that I suspect were installed in the WWII era. My two cents.

Thread Information