Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hello to all ...

Hi everyone; I'm a brand new member; and hoping for some guidance.

Embarrassingly, I lost the key for an old wooden trunk; and to make matters worse - the trunk is locked. The key is a hollow-barrel, double-bit key (I've attached some pics).

Any ideas on how to find a replacement key; and how to open the trunk without a key?

Thanks for your anticipated input.

Harrison
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0024 (1326x1600).jpg   DSC_0026 (1600x1061).jpg   DSC_0027 (1600x1029).jpg   DSC_0028 (1600x1063).jpg   DSC_0044 (1600x1064).jpg  

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I don't think I can help, but hopefully someone else will be able to.

Thanks for the welcome note.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You might consider taking the picture of the key around to antique furniture stores (I assume that's the actual/lost key in the picture). It's possible that it is common enough they might have one. Either to sell, or if an item in their inventory uses the same key, perhaps they would at least unlock your trunk and have some advice to help find a replacement.

Of course you could also try lock shops.

Thread Information