Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Bechstein Piano Lock

I have been asked if I can produce a key to lock the keyboard cover lock on a piano. All that I know, at this stage, is that it is a pin blank that is needed.

From my ailing memory I seem to remember that these are actually more a key operated latch than an actual lock. Effectively anything you can fit in and twist will open it as there are no levers.

Does anybody happen to know what size blank I need? Ideally I would like to get a blank with an ornamental bow, possibly in brass. Again does anybody know who would supply just a 1 off blank?

Just for fun I did a Google Images search for "Bechstein piano key" and found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bechstein-harrods-cb-keys280x140.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	16451

here: http://www.timhendy.co.uk/sales.html

If you take that image to a music store (or piano store) they might have an equivalent key. They may also have a cross-reference list that could help them find a working key. Looking at some of the other Google Images hits suggests that the same key may have been used by more than one maker.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    If you take that image to a music store (or piano store) they might have an equivalent key. They may also have a cross-reference list that could help them find a working key. Looking at some of the other Google Images hits suggests that the same key may have been used by more than one maker.
    eBay in UK has a listing for those keys, see link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piano-Lock...-/262724974042

The only remaining question, then, is why didn't I think of that in the first place?

Thank you all.

Thread Information