Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hello From Down Under........

Good Evening All,

My name is Drew and I love all types of "mechanisms" including inert ordnance fuzes, clocks and now obviously locks.

I recently acquired a beautiful vintage (& heavy!) brass Chubb Locking Bar from a flea market, and concluded that it was made around the 1930s and used for garage doors.

(Brian kindly advised that it was made on the 6th March, 1935......thank you Brian).

I have a couple of queries that I'm hoping some the forum members maybe able to assist with:

1) What type of key was used with this locking bar? (A picture /photo would be great!)
    2) How common / or uncommon are these?

I look forward to conversing with fellow enthusiasts

Thanks
    Cheers
    Drew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG4699.jpg   IMAG4700.jpg   IMAG4701.jpg   IMAG4702.jpg  

Key wise it's usually around a 6G pin key. 5 or 6 lever.

Not common, but not super rare. I've seen more of them here in Aus than I ever did in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Key wise it's usually around a 6G pin key. 5 or 6 lever.

Not common, but not super rare. I've seen more of them here in Aus than I ever did in the UK.
    Thank you oldlock - I found a picture of one - identical one to mine with the key

Do you know if key blanks re still available?

Any suggestions where to find them?

Thanks
    Cheers
    Drew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key.jpg  

Blanks are available but you need to measure the height and length of the bit (flag) and the diameter of the pin to get one that can be successfully cut

Hello Tom,

Thank you for that -I still haven't had the opportunity to remove the back-plate yet, but I gather I can obtain the approx. key flag measurements from inspection of the internals?
    Cheers
    Drew

Thread Information