Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default automotive lock tool - what is it?

one of my friends on Garage Journal sent me this link. I am really not sure what the tool would be used for.

Thoughts?

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/285392-tool-what-is-it/

Pictures, for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeyGauge1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	16436 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeyGaugeClose-Up.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	684.7 KB 
ID:	16437 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeyGaugeBox.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	800.7 KB 
ID:	16438

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoss26 View Post
    one of my friends on Garage Journal sent me this link. I am really not sure what the tool would be used for. Thoughts? http://forums.aaca.org/topic/285392-tool-what-is-it/
    I believe it is a decoder used to measure the depths of cuts of early automotive keys, from eBay: United Motors Service was founded in 1916 by William C. Durant, the same guy who started GM in 1908, owned Buick, and then started Chevrolet in 1911. Busy guy. The concept behind United Motors Service was to insure mechanics out in the field could always access parts at a time when the automotive distribution network was not fully mature. The concept of a nation-wide network of parts was an idea ahead of its time and turned out to be very successful. These keys were designed to be cut by technicians who didn't have the skills of a dedicated locksmith. They came as part of a kit that included all the tools necessary to file the keys down by hand. If you look at the blade, you can see the grid pattern letting the tech know how far down to file. It is a far cry from the automated key making machines of today! In 1944, United Motors Service was integrated into General Motors. By 1960 it had become part of GM's AC Delco (of Champion Sparkplug and Remy Ignition fame).

Thank you, as always!!

Thread Information