Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Replacement Horizontal Mortice Locks

Hi all i have just joined the form so looking forward to loosing hours sifting through the information. I am currently working on a couple of projects here in Ireland with houses built in the late 1700 so will be keeping an eye out for the original locks etc although many have been replaced over the years.

At the moment I am looking for a top quality replacement horizontal mortice with a handle set back of 6 inches for doors that have has the originals replaced with poor quality modern locks. Any of the modern replacements I have found are not great. Does anyone know of a modern lock that is close in quality to the original locks?

Also is there anyone on the forum who would have a large quantity of refurbished original mortice locks to sell or who could refurbish and key original locks?

thanks Paul

The Stripy Paint Company

This the lock on the inside of the front door of one of the houses built in the 1780 - so probably not original? but impressive none the less
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lock Box-1-2.jpg  

Welcome Paul, you couldn't have timed your Stripy Paint Company joining this forum any better, I'm looking for a 5 litre tin of black with gold stripe preferably in a stove enamel. The gold stripes are very fine, need to be as thin as possible. I'll be applying it using a standard 4 inch natural bristle brush comprising dodo feathers and unicorn hair.

Cool

Hi Max,

thanks for the welcome - completely out of stock of the thin stripy gold stove paint at the moment (it's elf stove painting season).

Good to hear that you plan to use the appropriate natural bristled brush which I assume is wild dodo and wild unicorn as they are much superior to the farmed version which is all we can get out of China these days.....

As with all stripy paint never stir and remember to order either horizontal or vertical or 1:1 mix for diagonal.

thanks

Paul

The Stripy Paint Company

Probably the best person I could recommend for repairs and keys for such locks would be :

https://www.d-r-lock-restoration-and....com/services/

He learnt his craft under the instruction of probably the best in the business - Tommy Watson.

Hi oldlock just had a look his work and its fantastic. thanks
    Paul

Hi would anyone know of a really good manufacturer of replacement horizontal mortice locks?

Rim or mortice ?

Either way try :

http://www.thequalitylock.co.uk/

Thread Information