Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Max, that image is also very interesting. That is the first smaller door version that I have seen with the crank at the 9 o'clock position. It is the smaller version as the time lock is more centrally located and by the design of the rear door cover plate. Also the hinge design, pivot cap, and pedestal shape confirm the smaller version. Goes to show there were a number of variations. What else you got?

Unfortunately probably not that much else, but I'll certainly post anything as and when I dig it out that's relevant ref the Victor or Moslers.

I am not at home today so I can't post the grinding machinery. As far as I know the first use of cast manganese steel here in the US was by Hibbard Rodman Ely at the turn of the century. During the 1890's there were numerous round door square body chests, including Mosler and Victors, and these were laminated construction, not cast manganese steel. There was great difficulty using cutting tools on the new steel so grinding was used. Inspection of the bolt holes on the HRE show where a machinable metal was melted into the bolt hole areas, and then machined for the rectangular bolts.

Victor grinding machine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161115_065735.jpg   IMG_20161115_065717.jpg  

Note this machine is for the later coarse thread version where the door threads are not bolted onto the door.

Thank you for that, Doug. With that patent number I did a search and sure enough it is here:

http://www.google.com.na/patents/US998508

Also has the full written description for those who may want to know more. The drawings are very clear online but don't have the authentic vintage look of yours.

Thread Information