Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old yale 4 wheel lockpack

Hi,
    I have an old 4 wheel lock-pack from Yale.
    I have tried
    5 times right to first number (Example 20)
    3 times left to second number (Example 10)
    2 times right to the third number(Example 30)
    1 time left (Example 40) and should stop at 0 and open but does not.

When I take the lock-pack out and look at it there all lined up accept the last number. Please help me I am so close to getting it. Thanks for the help...
    Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160917_113144.jpg   20160917_113138.jpg   20160917_113133.jpg  

It doesn't look right. Take the wheels off and lay the parts out in order as they come off. Post a picture of them. Doug

Default Old yale lock combination sequence

Hi, I'm new here, and new to vintage safes. THE rear cover in your photo is an exact match to a safe I just picked up. Due to it sitting outside and rusted pretty bad, I cut the door open and removed the lock mechanism to avoid damaging it. I found that the combination is actually Left, right, left.........4x Left, then 3x Right, then 2x Left, then turning to the right the fence will gravity drop around I beleive it was between 4 and 9. If this is helpful please let me know, I'm interested in additional photos of your lock and it's assembly. If you do take it apart as the other guy suggested, I found a patent date of Nov 25, 1905 on mine. Hope to here from you.

What he said... Try going L - R - L - R to stop. Also double check you have the wheels in the right order. I can't remember for sure, but your first number may be the last wheel, and first wheel may be the last number.

Please post a pic of the safe so that we can ID the manufacturer to know what lock you have. The pictures of the wheels could be from a HE or a OBB Yale lock.

Thread Information