Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default A different style victor

I picked up this Victor safe at an auction recently. It caught my eye as it is not like any Victor I have seen before. I searched online and could not find one like it.

Despite being a traditional square safe, it has a double jointed hinge that has a handle mounted to the top hinge to control the closing of the door. The door fits to tight to simply swing into the jamb. It has to be moved into the jamb squarely to fit much like a cannonball door.

15s1mc9 1

2dt6mbm 1

It is a full featured safe with an inner door with combination, an inner vault, and sports the original interior in very good condition.

2m2yh6p 1

The outer shell is different than most Victors in that it does not have the front and rear frames encasing the outer shell. The outer shell is wrapped around the frame, and fitted quite well, I might add.

2vah7wl 1

Has anyone seen a Victor with this style of hinge? I wonder if Victor had a patent on the design? The newest patent is 1889 so I am guessing it is pre 1900. With a little elbow grease the artwork has been retrieved. This safe will be perfect candidate for a restoration... after the two current Moslers are done.

2hxc742 1

10r0hux 1

Default Wow

Wow this is a very good looking safe ! Follow up this restoration for sure !

Not seen one like it but I did find it in the 1892 catalog. The pictures may not come out clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161103_082053.jpg   IMG_20161103_082017.jpg  

Thank you, Doug. You always manage to pull a rabbit out of that magic hat of yours.

That is it, as the dimensions match. I am suspicious of the weight of 1700 lbs. I had to maneuver it out of the building and it moved quite easy with a floor jack, crow bar and plywood. I hauled it out and loaded it with my Bobcat and normally 1700 lbs would be a substantial load. I was guessing under a 1000 lbs. After laboring with a 4000 lb Mosler screw door I'm reworking, it was a piece of cake.

The description mentions a patented combination changing device. I have not had time to take the lock apart and it spins excellent so it has not been a priority. The open design made it easy to retrieve the combinations. Can anyone comment on this style of lock?

2mh5xcl 1

16lz2o4 1

The most distinctive aspect of the lock was the desire to only have one hole through the door, not two, for increased fire protection. Reliable fire safe safes used a similar idea. A quick comb change could be accomplished by pulling the cap of the back and moving a thin steel plate into an alternative position or spinning the dial a half turn and re- installing the plate. And it' s no magic hat, just a lot of time spent collecting historical info regarding my trade. It really helps to know what you are dealing with, when faced with opening a safe, antique or modern. Just as you are finding, it can be a real pleasure to work on these antiques.

I get a kick out of the ad for this Victor claiming the smooth outside can be kept "clean and bright" with one fifth of the time. I wonder how they calculated that? Actually, with the knuckles of the double crane hinge and the support bar connecting the hinges, most of the time saved would be spent cleaning around these obstacles.

You are correct, Doug, these old safes are a pleasure to work on. Somewhat addictive. Some of the construction features are fascinating considering the time when they were built. I love finding odd or rare models. For them, your resources are invaluable. The Moslers I am currently working on have revealed some surprises which I will share in an upcoming thread. I still have artwork and assembly to go.

Here is a teaser.

a43gv4 1 2hpq734 1

Thread Information