Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Diebold's Special floor safe - need information

My mother has a Diebold's Special floor safe on wheels that I am trying to sell, however I'm having difficulty determining the age, where I can find keys etc. in order to come up with a value. She has the combination to the exterior lock which I'm not sure how to change. At one time, she had the keys to the interior door and inside compartments, but they have since been misplaced. Can someone help? Besides EBay, I would also appreciate knowing where I might be able sell the safe.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copy of 1002418.JPG   1002419.JPG   Inside.jpg   Inside compartment.jpg  

I can' t help you with where to sell it but you should make an effort to find the missing keys. If a locksmith is called out to open those inner door locks and make keys, you will be looking at a fair amount of money, especially if you desire to retain the exceptional condition of the interior. On changing the combination of the outer door, a special key is needed and many locksmiths do not have that key. Of course you could just sell it as is. Doug

Doug,
    Thank you for your response and the information. Great news…we found four (4) keys to the safe; one (1) to the inner door and three (3) to the inside compartments. Unfortunately, the key to change the combination lock was not found, so I’ll take your advice and try to sell “as-is”. We have the combination so at least we can lock and unlock the safe. One of the locks to the middle compartment does not work even though the key goes in and turns. I think we can live with that though.
    My next step is to determine the age. Any thoughts out there on where or how I might be able to obtain that information? My mother tried to contact Diebold directly but they didn’t have enough information to be able to help her. When my grandparents bought a grocery store in Buffalo, NY (1941/1942) the safe came with the store. That’s the extent of my knowledge regarding the history.
    I need to determine approximate age and value now. Then I’ll be in good shape.
    I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

The best I can do on the age is somewhere between the 1880' s up to the 1920' s. On value, I would study the prices for old safes on eBay. That will give you a better idea than I can. Doug

Default Diebold Special floor safe

Thank you Doug. I will definitely do my research first. I appreciate all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Meisterjm View Post
    Thank you Doug. I will definitely do my research first. I appreciate all the info.
    Just a comment, when trying to sell it, most in the US think of a floor safe as one in the floor and not one that just sits on the floor.
    BBE.

Try this web site run by

Guy Zani Jr
    theantiquesafecollector.co

You can visit the site and email him from his home page.

Thread Information