Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Tirpitz/ S J Arnheim Keys - can you identify them?

These keys were given to my Dad in the 1940's by a Polish POW in Fife, Scotland. Can anyone tell me what they might be for?

One side states "Tirpitz" and "21" and the other has "S J Arnheim, Berlin"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tirpitz 1.jpg   tirpitz.jpg  

More than likely they are safe deposit keys,
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...k-ca-1920-1930

Hi MaxVaultage

Thanks, would there have been safety deposit boxes on the Tirpitz?

Hi WClark, it's possible, assuming they are possibly linked then there's a million and one uses for such lockable Safety boxes on military ships, especially locks with dual locking control.

The use may not be so much like customers using one in a bank, but for maps, documents, codes, contraband, if not certain valuables and personal effects, the uses are still widespread.

It's actually more common to see such 'light-duty' containers and boxes being used on military ships than massive 2-ton safes, as the risks are drastically contained and limited purely to those on board.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Hi WClark, yes assuming they are possibly linked to the Tirpitz then there's a million and one uses for such lockable Safety boxes on military ships, especially locks with dual locking control.

The use may not be so much like customers using one in a bank, but for maps, documents, codes, contraband, if not certain valuables and personal effects, the uses are still widespread.

It's actually more common to see such 'light-duty' containers and boxes being used on military ships than massive 2-ton safes, as the risks are drastically contained and limited purely to those on board.
    Any suggestions as to how I could find out if they are related to the battleship? My other thought was that they could have something to do with Alfred von Tirpitz himself?

I'm stumped as to who to ask about this

I think you are correct Max, they are safe deposit box keys - do you think that its simply how Arnheim named them, a bit like Chubb and their corvette/cruiser/battleship range etc.

I have got some Arneheim catalogues, I will dig them out for clues. Maybe also our German members might have some more info..

Sorry WClark, perhaps I sounded a bit too overly positive, I should have added that although Arnheim boxes could well have been used on the ships, the chances of the keys being from the actual battleship is probably very small- Brian's solution seems a far more likely explanation for the Tirpitz stamped on the bows. It could even be something as simple as a supplier's or locksmith's mark to identify them way back in the day. See what Brian's catalogues show up and what others have to say.

Thanks Brian and Max for your help. Any information you can give is more than I have. I'm just curious as to what they could be for and where they came from, if there is a link to the battleship, that would be great. Trying to figure out why a Polish POW would have them and give them away to a non-military man (my Dad) at a dance in Scotland.

When my son was given them by my Dad for his primary school project on the war, he came up with the theory that it was no wonder it got bombed as we had the keys for the ammunition box!

Wendy

Thread Information