Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default My family's old trunk with an Eagle lock

20160910 192916 zpskmztk74i 1

20160910 192945 zpsy1hk5ibc 1

This trunk has been in my family forever. It was already collecting dust under a bed in my grandma's house when I was born. Looks like it was left open and the key was lost.

I recently took a picture of the lock as a reminder to try and make a key for it. Maybe one day I'll update this thread with some picture of the key and a better picture of the whole trunk. The trunk is not in my house so the process will be longer than usual...

Cheers :)

Quote Originally Posted by femurat View Post
    This trunk has been in my family forever. It was already collecting dust under a bed in my grandma's house when I was born. Looks like it was left open and the key was lost.
    I recently took a picture of the lock as a reminder to try and make a key for it. Maybe one day I'll update this thread with some picture of the key and a better picture of the whole trunk. The trunk is not in my house so the process will be longer than usual...
    Looks like their No. 8355 Excelsior trunk lock found on pg. 205 of Catalog No. 52 (c)1938, see thumbnail attached; click to enlarge. Had "two secure levers and 4 changes of keys" so shouldn't be too difficult to fit a key. Eagle key blank 5007 long obsolete, no known substitutions. You probably will need to find a suitable barrel key blank and cut it down to fit or make one from scratch. Eagle Lock Co. closed in 1975 after 121 years in business (1854).

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EagleCat52pg205.jpg  

Thanks for the info. I plan to find an old key with the stem that fits and the flag a little longer than the hole. This way I can file it down to size and then impression the cuts. Being a two levers should make it quite easy. Old furniture keys are commonly found at flea markets for 50 cents or 1 euro each.

The problem is the trunk is at two hours drive from me, so I need to find an excuse to go there. Going there just to make a key is not an option at the moment. I'll keep you updated.

If you can find a bunch of keys cut from the correct size blank you can almost bet that one will fit.

Thanks for the suggestion, Chubby.

I like to make stuff and key impressioning is one of my hobbies. I prefer to file down a blank because it make me feel like I actually "restored", or better "put it back to service" thanks to my skills. I know that buying a dozen of cut keys at a flea market would be quicker and easier.

Thread Information