Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Is that just a shelf, or has there been a drawer at some time?
    It's about the right hight for a drawer, but there wasn't one in it when we opened it.

There were no scuff marks in the old paint, that would have suggested there was one, and no mortice for a lock.
    I don't know if drawers would have been standard, when a safe was sold, or an additional cost, offered as an extra.

Nowadays you get a standard package when you buy a safe. But looking at this old one, with every part numbered to ensure proper fit during manufacture, and assembly. You get more of a hand made. Almost bespoke feeling about the object.

A drawer in there would look good. If anyone has seen a little Bates one with a drawer let me know, or better still had one for sale. I will measure opening.
    Thanks.

One lovely feature with some safes, the Chatwood Duplex was an example, was a drawer which was not, quite full width. It was so designed that if the safe was right against a wall, so the door would not swing right back on opening, the drawer would still open. It also left a useful little space next to the drawer. I always thought it was a little design detail that was so thoughtful and indicative of the care that used to go into some safes.

Are you wanting to keep the lock and other aspects as authentic as possible?

It is a neat little unit.

I'm going to put it as original as I can. But with one change.
    At some point in its life someone has welded two pieces of angle iron to the bottom so it could be bolted down. ( no internal hole for fixing). As I'm going to use it as a fire safe for documents, and back up data, I have added small rubber caster's on to the angle iron so I can move it around.

It's going to be as close as I can find to the green colour it was originally, and with gold pin stripes.

The guy that welded the door, also welded up the fixing holes for the escutcheon plate so I am going to drill and tap metric holes for re fitting a new Bates escuction plate found on eBay.

Default bates safe

Heres another step in the journey back to full use. Thats it had 2 coats of primer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe in primer color.jpg  

You don't let grass grow under your feet, do you?

That is a better job than I have ever given a safe.

Default Joseph bates safe refurb

Heres it in its green colour. I tried to get as close as I could, to what the paint looked like under the Hammerite.(its original colour).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails green safe.jpg  

Beautiful safe! I do have one question. The door looks compared to the walls rather thin. Are the photos misleading me? Or is indeed so? If so, is then the door the weak point or did they make the door from different materials to compensate? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Beautiful safe! I do have one question. The door looks compared to the walls rather thin. Are the photos misleading me? Or is indeed so? If so, is then the door the weak point or did they make the door from different materials to compensate? Thanks
    The safe door is dismantled in the picture. The part that houses the lock and bolting mechanisms are off whilst painting.
    I hope to get more work done over the weekend. Will keep you posted.

Default Joseph Bates & sons Safe

Well i guess this short video shows some pictures of the safe restoration as it went along, and the short clip, shows how the safe looks now.
    For 99p Ive learned a lot, met new friends, and have a working antique safe from a bygone era of British manufacture, never to be seen again.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct9KIOQJqaU

Great! Thanks! Now I know how big this is next to you. If I had millions, I certainly would love to put them into such a safe.

Thread Information