Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mystery mini safe

This wee thing is only around 18" tall. Its a "Banded" design and at some time had a brass plate ( long gone) with the key way in the centre. When the key is turned you will see the keyay becomes obscured as the "tails/ tang" of the levers draw across the key blade area. I would appreciate any help with the lock type as I do not think its a standard lever mechanism . Possibly a detainer type.
    clear

Sounds interesting, here's how to upload pictures
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-to-your-posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1,010.0 KB 
ID:	16306
    Quote Originally Posted by we11ington View Post
    This wee thing is only around 18" tall. Its a "Banded" design and at some time had a brass plate ( long gone) with the key way in the centre. When the key is turned you will see the keyway becomes obscured as the "tails/ tang" of the levers draw across the key blade area. I would appreciate any help with the lock type as I do not think its a standard lever mechanism . Possibly a detainer type.
    clear

The carriages look more modern than I would expect on a banded design. Does anybody agree? In size and design it looks like an old one we used to use to store vehicle work tickets a very long time ago.

Can you remove the lock so we can see the inside of it please? My initial reaction when I read your description was that it might simply be a barrel and curtain or some variation on that theme.

No reason why it couldn't be a detainer lock but that would beg the question why?

A name plate with a keyway incorporated is fairly unusual but not extremely rare. I wonder if it was just pragmatism in view of the lack of space on such a small door.

Default I suspect from the patter of safe plate that it is a Joseph bates patent

If so what special enough to patent about the Bates lock?

Lightbulb Mystery Solved its a Joseph bates lock ( small )

Mystery solved, It is Indeed a Joseph Bates and Sons model. The lock is smaller than the ones seen elsewhere on here... IF anyone here has a plate to fit this we would like to retore it. Dennis is making keys and stripping the old hemmerite from the outside.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2oeWWet8c

Default Joseph Bates safe

I thought Id post some pictures of the lock in the safe. Ive replaced the broken/missing springs on 3 of the levers. The bolt stump had a litttle bit or damage to it, and caused lever 1 to drop. Thats now had a little repair done.
    The door is away for a repair, and I will finish cutting the key next week.
    After that its cosmetic work.
    Will post a few pics as It goes along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock and levers.jpg   Joseph bates patent lock detainer gates.jpg   Bolt and floating stump engaged.jpg  

Thread Information