Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Memories......

Default Memories......

Reading another thread has set my memory going.

I was thinking about an old Chubb that had to be drilled. It had been a very good safe in its day. It was quite unusual in that it had 2 way boltwork. It was a dual control unit with 2 keylocks. In those days they used to make them with 1 lock taking a pin blank key and the other taking a pipe blank so you could not try to use the wrong key. I think it was out of a disused railway station.

In the old days stations used to handle quite a lot of cash. They were very busy and, of course, there was no other way of paying. I sort of think that they all had to have a safe, and some of those were pretty good.

Churches which conducted weddings etc. also definitely had to have a "fireproof" safe, in which the registers were supposed to be kept. Now those were the opposite end of the spectrum on the whole. They were, in my experience, the cheapest, flimsiest available and most of them were picked up used, and very old, even when installed.

Funny what stimulates memory.....

A lot of churches also had anti theft safes due to a need to secure the silver alter-ware.

These were often ageing iron jobs with ornate ecclesiastical motifs, often built into the wall in the tower base or Sacristy. I imagine a lot are still in use and would present little challenge to a determined amateur with big enough tools.

A professional would doubtless pick them in less than a minute.

Thread Information