Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proper Vault Escape Door

Now thats what I call an emergency vault door ! The era,and skilled men who created them, may well have gone but I bet these monsters are still functioning for decades to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	works1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	16256

It isn't an escape door.

It's an emergency door. These were used as an alternate way *into* a vault in case the main door malfunctioned.

But more on-topic, yes, that is a very impressive emergency door.

I also find this one interesting because it is a rectangular emergency door. Because they are rarely used, it seems to me they are often round even if the corresponding main door is rectangular and I presume this is because round doors would be easier to make. But other rectangular emergency doors exist. This might have been aesthetics conquering economy and/or a question of how the manufacturing plant was set up and which big tools were available.

A longer discussion of emergency doors is at http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...mergency-Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    But more on-topic, yes, that is a very impressive emergency door.

I also find this one interesting because it is a rectangular emergency door. Because they are rarely used, it seems to me they are often round even if the corresponding main door is rectangular and I presume this is because round doors would be easier to make. But other rectangular emergency doors exist. This might have been aesthetics conquering economy and/or a question of how the manufacturing plant was set up and which big tools were available.

A longer discussion of emergency doors is at http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...mergency-Doors.
    Thanks for the link. I have tried to copy and paste a reply from this thread, written by yourself, which gives a great explanation of what the term emergency door actually means but no matter what I try the pasting function just will not work for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    It isn't an escape door.

Thank you for taking the time to post that most comprehensve & explanatory reply, it was most helpful and I do sincerely hope that other like minded members of this forum draw great knowledge & comfort from it because, after all, if we cannot guide and help less knowledgeable members of this forum on their posts it may be time to question is it really worth being a member at all eh ?

Regarding the difficulty using cut-and-paste here, this appears to be a bug in the vBulletin software that implements this forum but it only impacts certain web browsers. Notably Internet Explorer. The easiest way around this is to use some other browser such as Firefox.

here's the late 1960's Chubb 33 inchers again, posted them a while back but don't suppose everyone saw them back then so since we're talking emergency doors..
    as far as British examples go, they don't get much bigger than these!

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	16265
    if I was a billionaire Bond villain I could happily have a set of these to play with :)

Bit of 33 inch info in this clip Max

Name:	034.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	16268

Just the thought of a 2 foot thick slab of TDR still makes me sweat

Thread Information