Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Looking For Info On My "New" Diebold

Hello all. I'm an amateur safe fanatic and just bought a large antique Diebold. I was wondering if anyone here could help me date this safe and come up with an idea of weight. It was originally the vault for the Huron Banking Company in Northern Ohio. Including its wheels, it stands 78" tall. It's 58" wide and 44" deep. The outer doors are 5 7/8" thick. The inner doors are a laminate of 3 steel plates totaling 1 7/16" thick. The inner doors also are combination locking with exposed nickel plated and engraved bolt work. Inside the safe, across its entire width is a jeweler's chest with a crain hinge and pressure bar. It also has exposed nickel plated and engraved bolt work. And finally, inside that inner chest is yet another compartment. It, too, is combination locking with exposed nickel plated and engraved bolt work. It's got to be pretty heavy as free standing safes go. I alkost forgot, on the left outer door handle is the serial number: 59-45666. Any info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to upload some pictures later. Thanks.
    Doug

Here are a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140706_114016.jpg   IMG_20161008_175947784.jpg   00p0p_2j59GLAUfmZ_600x450.jpg   20140706_114436.jpg  

I had a nice conversation with Doug McQueen about this safe. He says that it would not surprise him if it weighed up to 10,000 pounds. Looks like I'm going to have my hands full moving it to my shop. Also, his estimate of year of manufacture is between 1877 and 1890. We'll, it's certainly heavy and old. Kind of like me.

Thread Information