Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: SLS Jeweller

Default SLS Jeweller

Yo fellow safe nuts.

Has anyone come across the SLS Jeweller 3 in their travels ? Done the usual searches but not a lot of info available on the Mk 3.

Any era details or specs would be appreciated.

Regards to all,

Ian

Safeone is it one of the old production run models or a new one, as I think original production went as far as a mark II jeweller back then, but can't find mention of a third.

The mark 3 might be one of the new models made by SMP since it's all been re-born and united under the Associated Security umbrella. Might be worth contacting the new SLS to see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Safeone is it one of the old production run models or a new one, as I think original production went as far as a mark II jeweller back then, but can't find mention of a third.

The mark 3 might be one of the new models made by SMP since it's all been re-born and united under the Associated Security umbrella. Might be worth contacting the new SLS to see what they say.
    Thanks for that and your answer is looking spot on. I have some Mk2 literature but nothing on the Mk3.

When I zoom in on one of the pictures of the safe I can see some form of SMP badge on the back of the door so it is looking like a later era than I was hoping for.

Safeone they also made a load of models with similar trim to the old SLS's, with the similar large disc handle, but one easy feature aside from the obvious bolt numbers, which will determine if it's old run or new is the hinges.

If the underside of the hinge carriages are chamfered to the door then it's a modern run SMP based on their Euro graded Community range. The chamfers deflect mechanical jacks and roller pry-bars etc preventing any real 'purchase' on the door, but none of the original SLS had this feature. Hope this helps, PM if you want as I am very familiar with working on both makes.

Think I may have managed to attach a picture but the hinges do have the chamfered edges that you mention.
    As you said they very similar in apperance to the older models, well to the untrained eye at least !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sls.jpg  

Yes that's got the deflective hinge chamfers, it sure has the old nostalgic SLS look with the brown and gold trim, a proper trip down memory lane.

The escutcheon covers not that clear in the picture but it looks like it might be a double bitted keyway. SMP use both- a range of various specced single bit and double bitted locks, whereas the original SLS models had single bit only.

Inside pic which shows the SMP logo on the door
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sls1.jpg  

Thread Information