Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New plaques acquired, need help with one please?

Hi all. I Have once again some safe plaques to show and need help with one. To be honest I'm not sure if it is actually a safe plaque but I've no reason to doubt the seller other than my scepticism. It reads Chubbs new patent, 57 St Paul's Ch Yd London. Chubb & Son makers to HRH PRINCE ALBERT And bears the number 124804. Its pretty thick and seems to have had a couple of other screw holes repaired at some time (pretty well done I suppose). The other Chubb plaque added for size comparison. The Samuel Whitfield plaques are pretty nice and the one with the royal warrant I have never seen before. Thanks for any help anyone can give regarding the square Chubb plaque as I've not had much luck with finding any info about it! Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Hi Warren some more beauties you got there.

I love it whenever Chubb's old 57 St Pauls address crops up as 1877 (when they moved) is the only other date I can remember apart from 1066!

My first thoughts was it looked like a plate from one of their early upright chests but considering the timeframe of building address and reference to Prince Albert the 'New' patent probably refers to their diagonal boltwork which would still have been newish around that time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	16216

Picture courtesy of Grace's Guide- worth a look here
    http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Chubb_and_Sons

PS- love the Whitfield with the Royal crest

Or Perhaps more likely- their 'latest' detector- note "Chubb's New Patent 57 St. Paul's..." stamped on the salvage

Views:	20 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	16217
    Picture courtesy of Grace's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Or Perhaps more likely- their 'latest' detector- note "Chubb's New Patent 57 St. Paul's..." stamped on the salvage

Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	16217
    Picture courtesy of Grace's Guide
    Nice one Max, you never fail to make the effort. I love these old adverts you've came up with, they try and charge a small fortune for a photocopy of one on fleabay. I'll catch up wid a PM soon Max, thanks again.

Default The Chubb Plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Hi all. I Have once again some safe plaques to show and need help with one. To be honest I'm not sure if it is actually a safe plaque but I've no reason to doubt the seller other than my scepticism. It reads Chubbs new patent, 57 St Paul's Ch Yd London. Chubb & Son makers to HRH PRINCE ALBERT And bears the number 124804. Its pretty thick and seems to have had a couple of other screw holes repaired at some time (pretty well done I suppose). The other Chubb plaque added for size comparison. The Samuel Whitfield plaques are pretty nice and the one with the royal warrant I have never seen before. Thanks for any help anyone can give regarding the square Chubb plaque as I've not had much luck with finding any info about it! Cheers.
    Sorry I missed your posting Warren63 but I may have a little late information.
    This basic hand type stamped plate was in use at the time just before Chubb started making their own safes. The date of the number 124804 is approximately 1836 which is one year before they opened their first safe factory in Cowcross Street, Smithfield, London.

Up until then Edward Tann in Hackney had been making the safes for Chubb which were fitted with the lock illustrated below.

Name:	SM Lock detail copy.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	16339 This was superceded by the New Patent of 1833.

Name:	Chubb lock 114303.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	16340 This actual lock was fitted to a safe in the Tann Museum and carried a plate similar to yours numbered 114303 but bore no other identifying marks except for typical Chubb carriages and centres.

Name:	Chubb plate c.1842.43..jpg 
Size:	473.4 KB 
ID:	16341 This plate was affixed to the pack pan directly behind the lock. It could be that at one time the plates were attached to the locks which would account for the earlier fixing holes.

Nice one Safeman, I was wondering about the earlier fixing holes. The plate itself isn't a large one compared to others so that does make sense. I'm impressed with the date estimate, fairly early one. I love it when something can be nailed down to a certain time period by elements of deduction. Thanks very much for your information. Respect!

Thread Information