Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Odd Yale 805F and any advise on repairs - (photo heavy)

I posted photos and write-up on this lock on another forum. It was mentioned there that this is an oddball lock so I am sharing it here on this forum so that all that are interested can see it.

So, it started when I had what appeared to be a normal Yale 805F padlock with no key and decided to shim it open. When the shackle was opened and moved to the side there was a screw inside the shackle seat, which seemed odd to me. Hesitantly, (since I had never disassembled a padlock before) I decided to disassemble the lock and see what was going on. I was surprised when the brass cap came away from the lock revealing a cast ring that looks like it should be able to be removed from the body of the lock but it is very tight and I don’t want to mangle it. I then removed the screw and found that the spring had broken and there was the small broken part under the screw. All of the pins both key and driver appear to be serrated and two of the driver springs became misshapened when I removed them.

I am going to try to repair this lock and make a key for it and would appreciate any advise, esp in regards to what material to use to try to fabricate a new shackle spring and where I might get it this material.

Photos show what I found inside this lock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 yale 805F face.jpg   2 yale 805F trefoil.jpg   3 inside shackle seat.jpg   4 brass cap.jpg   5 brass cap inner.jpg  

6 brass cap removed.jpg   7 screw.jpg   8 brass ring and screw.jpg   9 cast ring side view.jpg   10 screw removed.jpg  

11 showing inner edge of ring.jpg   12 showing screw hole.jpg   13 screw and spring part.jpg   14 shackle with pins.jpg   15 shackle with pins.jpg  

16 shackle and key pins.jpg   17 driver pins and springs.jpg   18 shackle spring broken.jpg   19 broken shackle spring apposed.jpg  

Default Odd Yale 805F and any advise on repairs

I have two of them as your look differ than my. The metal spring that was broken should made your own. Not sure what the name of metal but can buy them at any locksmith supply. I'll see if I can find it....Timothy....

Just look it up as it call Flat Spring Steel Asst....Timothy....

Thanks Timothy.
    I'll look that up.

Let us know how thing work out....Timothy.....

Have you fix the lock yet..??...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Have you fix the lock yet..??...
    No I haven't.
    I have a few other things going at this time and want to give my full attention to making a new spring. Also I haven't tracked down a local source for the flat spring steel as yet.
    I'll let you know when I complete the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    No I haven't.
    Also I haven't tracked down a local source for the flat spring steel as yet.
    A useful assortment can be found on eBay, see link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLAT-SPRING-...kAAOSwPcVVgecN

Pete Schifferli

A couple years ago I went on the search for some new spring stock supply. I purchased the few that I could find available to the lock trade and one from Brownells, the gunsmith supplier. Not surprisingly, it appears that very little is currently available in flat stock. In the past you could get a selection of various thicknesses in different widths. Those days appear to be gone. That ESP selection on eBay does give you different widths, but it is all the same thickness, about .023". Other thicknesses are available by the roll from sources like McMaster Carr. Because of this situation, I think your best bet is to search out older locksmith shops that have been around for 50 years or more, as they may have what you need. Mic the the spring you have and give them a call.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    That ESP selection on eBay does give you different widths, but it is all the same thickness, about .023".
    Doug
    Mea culpa, I was unaware that those were all the same thickness. The assortment I have had for many years came from Ajax Wire Specialty Co. and is their No. 151 which contains 100 ft. of assorted widths and thicknesses of flat spring steel in 12" lengths. See thumbnail image attached, click to enlarge.

You could check with them and see if it is still available and where it could be purchased. I do not see it on their website but in the alternative perhaps the No. 149 would be satisfactory:
    http://www.ajaxwire.com/springassortlink.html

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ajax151AssortedFlatSpringSteel.jpg  

Thread Information