Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I got this Protector lock from ebay:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobbs protector lock.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	744.0 KB 
ID:	17885

The screws are nicely numbered by dots from no dot to three dots. The imprint is very weak, but I believe it is the same as on the lock above, i.e. HOBBS&Co PATENT PROTECTOR, CHEAPSIDE LONDON.

Any idea on dating that one? The serial number is probably 04800, so it is perhaps an early example of this 8-lever powder-proof lock? If so my guess would be around 1880-1900.

Thanks for your opinions

Hi Cepasaccus, nice lock has it got the vent holes through the bolt head and the channels in the case- theres a bit of info on the Hobb's/Milners locks page here on HoL:
    http://www.historyoflocks.com/hob001.html

Yes, it has all these gun powder vents. And yes, I have seen this page already. The most similar is second row on the right. With the holes it has to be before 1918 and after the previous dated example of 1865. That is a rather wide area. It would be nice if this could be narrowed down somehow. My thinking regarding the 1880 - 1900 was that it is certainly some time later than the 1865 example, but with a serial number of 04 800 it is probably an early specimen of this type with some distance to 1918.

Serial is 04 008. (Or 008 04) In any case less than 10% of the serial number of the lock on this web page. That is why I think it should be long before 1918.

Thread Information