Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Corbin Lock Company Bookends - Borzoi/Russian Wolfhound - Date? Provenance?

Hello,
    I bought these 2 bookends at a Thrift Shop in Canada. They are of Borzoi Russian Wolfhounds. The most interesting thing about them however, is their maker. They are made by the Corbin Lock Company, as far as I know at least.

I was wondering if anyone could date these pieces or perhaps at least give a time frame on the Corbin logo that is embossed into the bookends. They are beautiful, heavyset, and seem to be made of a bronze type metal. I know they are old, but that's about it. I was referred to this site by Corbin Russwin themselves to visit the forums as there were most likely some collectors and enthusiasts here that might have some additional information.

I would love to know more, and am open to all sorts of questions, history, details, and information.

I thank you all kindly for your time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0227.jpg   DSC_0228.jpg   DSC_0229.jpg   DSC_0230.jpg   DSC_0231.jpg  

DSC_0232.jpg   DSC_0233.jpg   DSC_0234.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by b4rc0d3 View Post
    Hello,
    They are made by the Corbin Lock Company, as far as I know at least.
    I was wondering if anyone could date these pieces or perhaps at least give a time frame on the Corbin logo that is embossed into the bookends.
    According to Historical Research Series #19 , May 1987 from Lock Museum of America; that logo was in use from 1920-1959. In those days the company was known as P & F Corbin, prior to the merging of the Corbin & Russwin brands in April, 1993+. There was also the Corbin Lock Co. of Canada established in 1932 upon the purchase of the former Springer Lock Mfg. Co. of Belleville, Ontario; it became known as International Hardware Co. in 1955.*

+from my personal knowledge and files
    *adapted from Locks & Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd Edition, by the late Thomas F. Hennessy

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information