Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Antique Herring"s Patent Champion Safe

Hello Everyone,
    I have recently acquired my Great Grand Fathers 2 door Antique Herring's Patent Champion Safe (Late 1800's). Unfortunately it is Closed and locked and the combination that the previous owner had does not work. I was told by the safe mover that the lock is a Dexter four number. He said that he could open the safe but he would have to drill a hole in the door and use a bore scope to see the lock mechanism.
    Any advice, options or informed opinions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Herring Safe.JPG  

One approach is http://savta.org and click on Safe Tech Search, enter your zip code (there appears to be two listed in your area). A good safe tech might offer to manipulate the lock rather than drilling depending on his (or her) skill, time, and cost (and the lock makes a difference). Sometimes just getting the dialing sequence right is a key even if you have the combination on paper. Drilling is generally undesirable but may be way cheaper.

OK are you dialing the Dexter lock correctly.
    5 times right-4times left-3 times right-2 times left- to zero -to 25 and stop.
    This lock doesn't re-track the bolt, it just drop onto the split wheel pack of drivers. The body of this lock is cast iron. you may have rust holding this lever from dropping . The zero is per set from the factory.
    any other questions PM and Ill answer them on this safe. TJ

Default What was the outcome?

Hi
    Two years after the fact, but wondering if you were able to get it open? I have a Herring that looks very similar I was able to get the combination to and wondered if I could help at all (not a locksmith, but perhaps my experience would help you out).

Thread Information