Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question what kind of padlock help!!

Found this in a box in our attic tonight looks old to me. I know nothing about them so some help would be nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160908_005142.jpg   20160908_005155.jpg  

Modern Indian tourist piece. Probably less than 20 years old. Collector value - Nil.

Thumbs down East Indian Brass Padlocks

Hi, I've seen this one-off lock on e-bay, over a year ago - from India - they hand make these locks in so many styles, limited only by their imagination. They work to mimic antiquity, such a shame to waste their skills on a niche market. Someone must be buying their wares and then leave them in the attic. Not collectable to serious lock collectors - Gary

Default talisman padlock

way back in 1996 from the mail auction of bob easter item #83 was est value of $60,no key.
    but ,with all of india's replicas,hard to tell original from reproduction locks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00596.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	432.3 KB 
ID:	16139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00595.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	16140

Default back side

this is a repro forgot to send pic of backside,info on bottom of this one looks inscribed by vibrating marker ,yours looks manually punched ?
    this one has rivets below post and yours look s like rivets are even with post
    backing plate on this one has more square bottom corners and yours are more curved.
    yours looks more original,but cannot say for sure ? mine i got for $15 somewhere and it is a reproduction,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00601.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	405.8 KB 
ID:	16141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00597.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	495.8 KB 
ID:	16142

Jodhpur springs to mind for these fantasy castings- has a massive tourist trade serving the museums and forts and is conveniently big on metalworks and foundries.

Heres another variation devoid of artificial ageing
    Attachment 16209

Thread Information