Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WTB: Changeable and Detachable Bit Keys and Old Safe and Vault Keys

I'm looking to purchase old changeable bit keys, either the more common style ones or ideally less common ones like the ones made by Goffin or McGreger. I'm also looking to purchase detachable bit keys and any other 1800's safe and vault keys (like Lillie or Diss's). Please reply or send me a message if you have any for sale and to discuss the price. I'd love to add some more to my collection!

Are you talking about safe combo change keys ? I bought a box of stuff and it had some change keys long and short, plus the old wheel style Curtis clipper with extra wheels. Ect

Thank you for the response. I'm not referring to those types of keys (although if you want to PM me pictures of them I would appreciate seeing them). I'm referring more to the types of Solomon Andrews and the Buttersworth, pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solomon andrews key.jpg   buttersworth key.jpg  

Bigtree, here is one I would like to ID. The lock is not mine but currently in possession of it to make a simple but important missing part. No markings whatsoever as to the maker,which is a bit hard to believe given the design and workmanship.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161004_152815.jpg   IMG_20161004_152648.jpg  

Thank you for sharing. It looks to me like a Henry Ritchie lock/key. Patented in 1849, patent number 6252.

https://www.google.com/patents/US6252

Hope that helps!

It's a shame the bow is broken, but that is quite a nice lock you are repairing. I'd love to see if when it's fixed up.

FYI, if the person you are repairing it for happens to want to sell it, I'd definitely be interested.

No, it's not a Ritchie, at least not that one. I made a key and did some repairs to one of those several years ago, and the bolt end was clearly marked Ritchie. This lock shows the remnants of insulation material, so I would assume it was a production model. It is an auto set with the master tumblers sliding sideways in the case. The slave set of tumblers, which retain the coded position of the key that locked it, sit above the masters inside a pivotable enclosure or block. This block has a large hook that latches into the lock bolt preventing movement. When the correct key is used, the slave set of tumblers engages into the masters, allowing the upper block to pivot down, releasing the bolt. I will post some pics of the lock.

Here are a few pictures. I have copied most of the keylock patents from this era but this lock doesn' t ring any bells.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161005_074647.jpg   IMG_20161005_074948.jpg   IMG_20161005_074909.jpg  

Unfortunately the owner said it was not for sale. The part that was missing from the lock was a small plate that would lock the upper chamber tumblers in place. After making the part, I realized that the original was most likely worn, causing the key to hang up badly. The bow had totally broken off at one point, been repaired and then later broken in half. Unfortunately for me, he was not interested in repairing the key, but here is a picture of his key and one I had made several years ago. So if you ever need any work done send a PM. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161005_091353.jpg  

It sure looks like a Ritchie key; perhaps it is a different model lock? I agree it looks like a different lock from the one in the patent image. Thank you for the detailed description of the mechanism. I appreciate it. I'll take a look through the older patents as time allows and see if I can come up with any other suggestions. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the lock repair and key repair. It's a shame you didn't get the chance to repair the key; the other one you did looks nice. Thanks for asking for me if it was for sale. If you happen to come across anything else you think I'd be interested in, please keep me in mind, and I'll keep you in mind if I come across anything needing repair. I'll let you know if I find anything else that would be helpful in identifying it more directly.

Just bumping the thread as I am still looking to purchase. Thanks!

Thread Information