Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seeking information on antique US ? padlock and key, please

Thanks to the team for inviting me to this forum; I greatly appreciate it. I have a padlock that appears to be antique with a key marked "Pat. Jan. 7, 1873. There are no other visible marks. It has been in my family for more than 50 years but I'm no expert, and would greatly appreciate the input from the community as to 1) whether it is antique 2) the manufacturer and 3) what it might be worth. The key opens the lock even though it is bent. Would you recommend that I try to have someone unbend the key, or leave well enough alone? I'm afraid it might break off! Attached are some photos of the lock and key. Many thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3295.JPG   IMG_3299.JPG   IMG_3296.JPG  

It's a smokehouse padlock. It's not my area of expertise though, so hopefully someone else can chime in with more info.

Default Ref: my query about the padlock

BigTreeKeys: Many thanks for your quick reply. Don't know what a smokehouse padlock is, but will look it up! Can you tell by the photos, please, if the lock is an antique, which I believe to be so?

A minor curiosity: on January 7, 1873, there were 234 patents issued but none of them are in classification 70 (locks).

Default Ref: my query about the padlock

--so, does that mean this is probably a fake or could there just be a gap in the records or mistake on the date of the key?

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    A minor curiosity: on January 7, 1873, there were 234 patents issued but none of them are in classification 70 (locks).

Does seem a bit strange, sallyk, are you able to upload some larger close-up photos? Compared to the padlocks heavily aged and corroded body, the detailed brass escutcheon appears remarkably intact and unworn.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but I wonder if the key could be referring to patent 134577

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...30108&sort=new

"The object of my invention is to produce a cheap and substantial bit for lock-keys when the bit and stem of the key are made of two or more distinct pieces and joined together in the process of manufacture. It consists of a piece of metal punched in a proper form for a bit and provided with a hole in or near that edge of it which'is to be iastened to the stem of the key, so that when the bit is placed in the mold and the metal of which the stem is made is melted and cast into the mold a portion of the metal so cast will pass through the hole and, on cooling, form a neck or rivet, which serves to hold the bit firmly and permanently in its place."

I agree with BigTreeKeys. That patent is for a method of constructing keys and was classified as 76/110 ("Metal tools and implements, making" / "keys"). A poor classification, to me.

The patent was issued to W. Wilcox of Middletown, Connecticut. A search for other patents of his might yield possible manufacturers.

I would suggest leaving the key alone rather than trying to unbend it.

Default Ref: my padlock

Again, many thanks for all the detailed information about this padlock. It's fascinating! As requested by some members, attached are several closeup photos of the padlock and key. Obviously, i'm hoping it really is an antique but it's valuable to know if it's a fake as well! Many thanks to you all! Sally
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3331.JPG   IMG_3329.JPG   IMG_3330.JPG   IMG_3327.JPG   IMG_3326.JPG  

IMG_3328.JPG  

Alright, so your lock is number 113 from the an old William Wilcox catalog, I believe circa 1880.

See attached pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails william wilcox 113 lock.JPG   william wilcox 113b.JPG  

Thread Information