Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old padlock for ID please

I have been metal detecting for over 30 years and have found many in my time, I give most away but this week I found one which I will clean up and mount in a frame and give back to the land owner. I have done the google thing and have found some that look like it but there are differences between the photo's and my lock. I would think that the same company made mine as in the photos, the wording is the same but the star is different. Also the keyhole cover....(dont know what its called) is of a different design. What I would like to know is

1. Who made it
    2. how old

My estimate
    is that it dates from 1890-1910 but I might be miles of the mark.

Thanks......Paul
    DSCF0001 zpst5lshfwr 1

DSCF0003 zpsvloxjjxf 1

size of lock....across the body 3" length of body 3.25"

Paul

Hello timeout, although it's clearly been buried for some time and heavily corroded and choked with earth, I'm not too convinced on this one.
    Spent a while looking at your pictures which are clear and good resolution, the irregular stampings some heavier than others, the wording chosen, the star markings and poorly shaped escutcheon cover are all typical of the modern Indian stuff that's still being made.

Also, looking at the 3 rounded shapes on the base of the escutcheon, it's difficult without having the padlock in hand but it looks from the close-up like there's casting flash left between them.

I'm still 50:50 on this one, but weighing it all up now leaning to 60:40.

The up date on the padlock, I have started the clean up, and I must say that it was made of heavy duty steel. it looks like that the pins though the body of the lock are made Brass. so it was well made. Also there was a house in the field where it was found but the house was demolished around 1890. I would really like to know more about this lock......thanks....paul

Thread Information