Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pre-1971 Corbin removable core

Hi everyone,

I have what is apparently Corbin's first attempt at a removable core, which according to the CorbinRusswin manual is referred to as "Round Removable Core" , dating from 1964 to 1971. When viewed from the front, it looks no different from any other Corbin/Russwin rim cylinder. It consists of a full size cylinder housed in a thin outer shell which carries the tailpiece and mounting points.

My question pertains to the control key--I can see from the diagram that the last pin is the only one which operates a control sleeve, but which way does it turn to remove? It looks like it should turn to the left, but most cores it should be to the right?

Thanks

Default It's to the left...

I just discovered how to remove the core, the control sleeve must be turned left about 15 degrees to disengage a metal slide that locks over a pin in the housing. I've never seen anything like it, quite an interesting design.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have what is apparently Corbin's first attempt at a removable core, which according to the CorbinRusswin manual is referred to as "Round Removable Core" , dating from 1964 to 1971. When viewed from the front, it looks no different from any other Corbin/Russwin rim cylinder. It consists of a full size cylinder housed in a thin outer shell which carries the tailpiece and mounting points.

My question pertains to the control key--I can see from the diagram that the last pin is the only one which operates a control sleeve, but which way does it turn to remove? It looks like it should turn to the left, but most cores it should be to the right?

Thanks

i have attached a page from the old manual. is this what you have?

i have been looking for one of these for years!!! please post pictures and let me know if you would be interested in a trade or anything!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default That's the one

That's the exact diagram I found, other than that I can find nothing else. In 35+years of collecting I've never seen one of these until now. I found it on eBay by accident; I wasn't even sure if it was the removable core version until I had it in my hands to examine. I can see why it had such a short production run--it really looks like they modified their existing adjustable cylinder to make it removable. On the other hand, when installed, it looks just like a standard cylinder. I actually recall seeing a very old Best removable core design in an old product catalog on eBay back in the 90's that was like this--the core face was round & full-size like any cylinder. I would imagine those are extremely rare today.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGnG View Post
    i have attached a page from the old manual. is this what you have?

i have been looking for one of these for years!!! please post pictures and let me know if you would be interested in a trade or anything!

how do you figure out the control key? been messing with this one i just got for a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGnG View Post
    how do you figure out the control key? been messing with this one i just got for a day or so.
    I believe that if you have an operating or master key, you could duplicate the first four cuts (5-pin ) or first five cuts (6-pin) on a new blank and then progress the tip cut one depth at a time until you find the control key bitting. If you want to take a shortcut, try the progression possibilities shown in the pdf. The control sleeve is operated by the tip cut on the key in the last pin chamber.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I believe that if you have an operating or master key, you could duplicate the first four cuts (5-pin ) or first five cuts (6-pin) on a new blank and then progress the tip cut one depth at a time until you find the control key bitting. If you want to take a shortcut, try the progression possibilities shown in the pdf. The control sleeve is operated by the tip cut on the key in the last pin chamber.

Pete
    After I made the above post, I found that BBE with A.J. Hoffman's excellent The Core of the Matter* on page 165 states that the tip cut for the control key will be a 7 depth for Corbin or for Russwin a 5 or 6 depending upon the keyway class.

*If anybody is interested, the book and others can be purchased from Locksoft Computer Solutions:
    http://locksoft.com/books/

Pete Schifferli

Default Reading & Emhart cores

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    After I made the above post, I found that BBE with A.J. Hoffman's excellent The Core of the Matter* on page 165 states that the tip cut for the control key will be a 7 depth for Corbin or for Russwin a 5 or 6 depending upon the keyway class.

*If anybody is interested, the book and others can be purchased from Locksoft Computer Solutions:
    http://locksoft.com/books/

Pete Schifferli
    I just followed the above link; I had no idea Reading ever made removable cores--could someone post a diagram or picture of one? Reading Hardware (RHCo) has been long out of business, correct? Did they even make it past the 1950's? I see Reading mortise locks on eBay all the time, but all of them are antiques. I've never seen anything remotely recent from that brand.

Since we're on the subject of Corbin cores, I have a question about the Emhart (high security) Corbin and Russwin cores--can a control key for these be cut from a standard blank? The cutouts on the bottom of the Emhart blank allow the key to pass the T on the drivers and rotate a full 360, but a control key would never turn far enough for the cutouts to come into play? And the angles in the control positions would be irrelevant as well?

I don't think you would be able to rotate a standard blank at all even if you could get the cuts to match up.

there are several places online that sell new emhart blanks in a variety of keyways but expect to pay about $15 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    I just followed the above link; I had no idea Reading ever made removable cores--could someone post a diagram or picture of one? Reading Hardware (RHCo) has been long out of business, correct? Did they even make it past the 1950's? I see Reading mortise locks on eBay all the time, but all of them are antiques. I've never seen anything remotely recent from that brand.
    BBE and A.J. Hoffman's book has several pages (239-241) devoted to the patented Reading removable cylinder. The material is copyright 2013 by the authors thus I'm not at liberty to reproduce it. BBE is a member here and might see this and possibly post those images. I can however direct you to U.S. Patent 1,855,607 of April 26, 1932. Some info can also be found in Laurie Simon's article "Take a Ride on the Reading" originally published in The Locksmith Ledger at this link:
    http://www.simon-says.net/members/lds3m/vt_ride_the_reading_pdf.htm

According to Locks and Lockmakers of America by Thomas F. Hennessy, the Reading Hardware Co. was in business from 1852-1940.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information