Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Post Antique Locks from India

Hi everyone, I am Gary, a new member. I have collected vintage padlocks for about 3 years now and often during my search for desirable padlocks I see E-Bay postings for antique locks from Jodhpur and Delhi, India. I have always been skeptical of these postings as I am aware that they manufacture vintage lock replicas and a number of one off antique locks. Sometimes I see postings for what appear to be real vintage American and British locks? I wonder if any members have had dealings with these sellers and your impressions of locks pruchased from these sites? Any words of wisdom from anyone on these locks from India? Thanks, Gary W.

In brief re Indian locks - Avoid.

Slightly less briefly, they are making locks today in the same manner, with the same tools and materials as locks they made a 100 years ago. So an Indian lock could be 100 years ago, or made yesterday. Added to which the quality and finish is generally average or poor so personally I don't think they are worth collecting anyway.

Good British locks are another matter. Words of advice - never buy any padlock that has been taken apart and where possible avoid locks without original key(s).

Default Locks from India

Thanks for the advice and I do avoid locks without the original key. I have noticed some locks on e-bay that have had the cylinder changed along with an old key that matches that replacement cylinder. i.e.: Old lock and old patina with bright shiny brass pins or rivets on the face of the vintage lock. When i question this they tell me its because the rivets are the high points on the lock face they get shiny from wear. Buyer beware.
    Where else can you find vintage locks for sale beside e-bay?

The very best place would be face to face at the various collectors fairs in the US.

The West Coast Lock Collectors Assoc. holds a show every February at the Ayers Hotel in Manhattan Beach Ca.. Worth the visit if your not too far from there.

Question Locks from India

Thanks for the info on the lock shows, looking forward to attending.
    On another note, I have been using the U. S. patent numbers as a guide to determine the approximate age of combination padlock and then their are many that just indicate the date of the patent. I have seen some that appear to be old but no mention of a patent, just the manufacture's name and "Made in USA" Question: Can a manufacture copy and market someone else's design when the origional patent expires? Gary

Quote Originally Posted by finsup View Post
    Thanks for the info on the lock shows, looking forward to attending.
    Can a manufacture copy and market someone else's design when the origional patent expires? Gary
    Absolutely!
    BBE.

Thread Information