Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thumbs up I got a question about the possible weight of my Antique Safe (photos)

Hi everyone,

My name is Wouter and I live in Glasgow UK.

My girlfriend gave me a safe as a present today but before we try to put it in our lift we'd like to know if anyone can estimate the weight of it because we're afraid the lift (we live on the 5th floor) and the floor itself might not hold. The lift has a max. weight load of 650 KG. Our flat was built after the year 2000 so I'd imagine the floors would be strong enough if the safe is movable with the lift.

I have attached photos so if you or anyone else knows a indication for weight that would be a huge help.

Does anyone think it's heavier then 650KG?

Many thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3545.JPG   IMG_3547.JPG   IMG_3555.JPG   IMG_3558.JPG   IMG_3561.JPG  

Default Your Milner safe.

Hello Wouter,

You don't give the dimensions of your safe but from the pictures it can't be far off 36" high in which case the weight will be approximately 7½ cwts. or 380 kgs.

It is a Milner List 2 made some time between 1875 and 1895. If you can find the serial number I can give you the exact year. It will be stamped into the top edge of the body close to the hinge and will probably be four figures with a letter prefix. There will also be a bigger number further to the left which will be the lock number but doesn't necessarily relate to the year of manufacture.

Milner was the largest safe maker at the time and safes would come in barge loads to the Clyde from the factory in Liverpool. In the 50's I used to service the safes - all Milners - in the City Chambers, about 30 of them throughout the building. May even still be there!

Hi Safeman,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!!

The dimensions are 30 inch X 23 inch X 42 inch (height).

We are afraid our lift might not hold it... but we have no idea to determine the weight of it? :(

Any help is MOST appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter View Post
    Hi Safeman,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!!

The dimensions are 30 inch X 23 inch X 42 inch (height).

We are afraid our lift might not hold it... but we have no idea to determine the weight of it? :(

Any help is MOST appreciated!

If 42" high it will weight in the region of 430 kgs which is well within the lift capacity of 650 kgs. So why question if the lift might not hold it?

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    If 42" high it will weight in the region of 430 kgs which is well within the lift capacity of 650 kgs. So why question if the lift might not hold it?
    FOOTNOTE :
    If you decide to go ahead, I would recommend that you send the safe up on it's own as too many extra bodies could put you closer to the limit.

Nice old safe. Do you have the keys? If not any locksmith can cut you some from the lock. You can save a lot of money by removing the lock and taking it to the locksmith. I know locksmiths who have a stock of the more common safe locks, with keys ready cut, so can just do a 1 for 1 swop with you so you aren't kept waiting. If you are going to use it as an actual safe, and retain the existing lock, then it is a good idea to get somebody to differ the levers for you so that any preexisting key will be of no use.

It is an interesting thing to have and it offers some level of security but such safes are not really secure against modern tools.

Thread Information