Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yawman and Erbe (Y and E) Safe

Hi...

I'm new here and could use some help identifying and / or dating a safe. This week I was able to pick up a safe that was used by a local trucking company that was started in the 30's and closed in the 80's. The guy I got it from worked in their accounting department right until they closed and they gave him the safe at that time. Ironically my Dad drove for the same trucking company in the 60's so I was really interested in the safe.

Unfortunately it was painted at one time and is not like an olive drab color. I can clearly see a gold pinstrip along the perimeter of the door and some letters but I can't make out any words just yet. The dial say's "Y and E" and from what I understand that is for Yarman and Erbe. From my research they closed in the 30's and never really made their own safes, they more than likely relabeled someone else's safe. From the design of the dial I am guessing Mosler maybe?

It is locked and the previous owner misplaced the combination so I have not been able to look inside of it yet for another other markings.

Can anyone help me positively identify it or maybe help with a date? Since it was repainted, I would like to restore this piece for my house.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

a629op 1

PT71Ew 1

VkMlZH 1

6nHiet 1

sfEHYA 1

Thanks Bitbuster...

I did find that info and felt mine may be a relabeled Mosler. I did some more searching last night was found this Mosler which is almost identical to mine...

gGlAHC 1

Curious...........what is the dial center to handle center measurement?

Hi bitbuster...

It's 4 5/8" center to center.

I just got home from work and took a better measurement, it's actually 4 3/4" center to center.

Quote Originally Posted by oldspwr View Post
    Thanks Bitbuster...

I did find that info and felt mine may be a relabeled Mosler. I did some more searching last night was found this Mosler which is almost identical to mine...
    Seems likely, Yawman & Erbe of Rochester, NY was a prolific manufacturer of commercial office furniture; the most recent being made mostly of sheet steel. I doubt they had the capability to produce such a safe in house. They went out-of-business around 1972.

Pete Schifferli

Default Mosler

Tom You have a mosler safe with a B-6 or KCB-697 lock. Both locks have the same foot print , B-6 is a hand change combo and the other is a change key need. This is a private labeled safe. The center cap on the dial is only screwed on. This safe only fire safe not much in the way of burglary protection. TJ

Thanks Pete and Medeco! I appreciate your responses! Do you think it's possible this is pre -1940?

Thread Information