Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default 2000kg flat-packed safe anyone?

http://www.fichet-bauche.com/product...ular-safes/GVX

Have to admit a bit of amusement when I first heard about this, but when you think there are some amazing advantages regards transportation and installation, and it is just a progression of modular strong rooms which have been around a long time now.

I guess it was going to happen eventually, just hope the instructions are better than IKEA's and they're not held together with the same die-cast quarter-turn fasteners!
    I wonder what George Price would make of it all.

Why not? When were the first demountable strongrooms made? I have seen the smallest sized ones just used as a large safe.

My memory is like a sieve when it's down to remembering dates, and it's probably anyone's guess who made them first, but Hibbard-Rodman Ely were certainly among the early ones. Extremely impressive panel construction and the doors were very distinctive, being round, without the usual steps and with rectangular boltwork. If you search them on here it'll bring up a lot of very interesting and relative stuff.

I remember seeing a beauty. It was badged as a Hobbs, but was a Chubb in disguise, after the merger. It was the same width as the 3.5" TDR door and more or less square. It had a single dead AED and all the Chubb bits- interlocking boltwork etc. which in those days they pretended were an AED in their own right. I think we were putting a cord and plunger live AED on it to "upgrade" it. I seem to remember there was a flange around the edge, just like round a strongroom door, in case anybody felt the need to brick it in!

Funny, how memory works.

I remember there was an old Chubb strongroom under it and the weight of the demountable SR cracked the roof of the SR below. They had to dig out the walls and insert a couple of RSJs to stop the cracking.

Default First demountable - don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Why not? When were the first demountable strongrooms made? I have seen the smallest sized ones just used as a large safe.
    But here's something from the Hobbs' & Co's 1876 catalogue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobbs & Co's (movable) strongrooms.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	16011 For Max I'll send something on flat-pack safes (no turnbuckles) tomorrow when I get back to my papers and stuff.

Hmm, which bank ? With two anti-violence and a paurotoptic lock on it - well worth finding !

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    http://www.fichet-bauche.com/product...ular-safes/GVX

Have to admit a bit of amusement when I first heard about this, but when you think there are some amazing advantages regards transportation and installation, and it is just a progression of modular strong rooms which have been around a long time now.

I guess it was going to happen eventually, just hope the instructions are better than IKEA's and they're not held together with the same die-cast quarter-turn fasteners!
    I wonder what George Price would make of it all.
    John Tann's version from around 1920.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann Sectional Safes..jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	16016 Just don't ask for it with a bent body.

Thread Information