Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unusual dual locking double 'layered' pipe key lock

Here's one found recently that's really got me scratching my head.
    I think it's one we possibly swapped through the MLA many years ago, but i am guessing as it's from that long ago now.

All looks very non-descript and normal when viewed from the front, but removing the cap reveals there's two layers to the lock- the top 4 lever section simply acts as a shutter and retracts to fully uncover the secondary keyhole underneath.

The lower lock is also 4-lever but has additional false gates and directly retracts the bolt bar of whatever it was used to lock.
    Unfortunately the top section was drilled at some point and there's damage to the top lever pack, but its so unusual to make me think it's worth my time re-instating all the levers and making two nice repro keys using antique period blanks. I'm also convinced there's parts missing from the top left area of the lower lock, seen in the last photo.

Intricate hand fabrication work, machining, brazing etc, and hand making such keys have always been my forte, so any information would be greatfully received as I'm actually pretty eager to make a start on it! Well, that's if it's unusual/rare enough and all worthwhile doing of course!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	832.0 KB 
ID:	15973 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	848.9 KB 
ID:	15974

Views:	38 
Size:	823.0 KB 
ID:	15975 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	833.7 KB 
ID:	15976

Views:	42 
Size:	942.1 KB 
ID:	15977

Forgot to add that in the first four photos the levers are removed from the top lock in order to show the travel of the bolt covering and uncovering the secondary keyhole.

The Combination of them being damaged/distorted and that the lock has comb springs to overcome makes reassembly difficult, so I left them loose and only included them in the last photo.

It's a Marr

Detector is missing from the lower lock.

It should be an easy piece to make.

Not often you get a nice surprise like that. There is a picture of a similar Marr lock in the 2015 Tony Beck book of British locks. Just picked up the book at the Lancaster Lock show to help me get a handle on the locks we don't often see over here. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Not often you get a nice surprise like that. There is a picture of a similar Marr lock in the 2015 Tony Beck book of British locks. Just picked up the book at the Lancaster Lock show to help me get a handle on the locks we don't often see over here. Doug
    Not heard of this book ? Any chance of a few pictures so we can get a feel for the work ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    It's a Marr

Detector is missing from the lower lock.
    Thats brilliant oldlock thanks very much, I sure wasn't expecting that. Haven't had the lower lock apart yet but haven't noticed any markings anywhere, is it likely a Marr type made by another maker or do you think it could be one of his?

The only other I could find on here was Huntlocks' example and his has very clear and impressive markings, and was also missing the same detector parts as mine.

Doug, regarding the missing bits I'm guessing there's going to be a couple of brass or steel sliding parts plus a spring to fabricate or at least some form of part in spring steel? I haven't got the book unfortunately and I've googled Marr a lot hoping for pics of an intact example (with cover off) and found nothing as yet.

A great and really unexpected find this one- whenever I think I've found or seen everything I've hoarded over the years i still get the odd surprise!

Default Some more MARR.

Here's quite a nice picture.

Name:	Marr.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	15985

There's also a heavily fretted version on the Lockcollectors.com website with a descriptive note.

As background, my original sample came from the National Safe Deposit at No.1 Queen Victoria Street which opened in 1875 as the first Safe Deposit in this country where it had been fitted to a Marr safe containing the control valve which hydraulically opened the
    vault doors.

Name:	Nat.Safe Deposit.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	15986

I trust that Tony Beck will not object to my use of this article from Issue 31 of The Lock Collector.

Default Wow, makes my example look a bit sorry for itself...

That's amazing provenance for your lock there safeman, thanks for posting that.
    2000 tons of chilled armour plate, 160 tons of near foot thick door slabs! It sounds an incredibly impressive installation for 1875.

Also an interesting locking arrangement, although very odd in that without any independent boltwork the vaults security was obviously limited to that of the Marr fireproof safe which housed the door control valves! All Very interesting, I'll read it through more thoroughly again later.

Closer inspection of my lock has revealed its been drilled far more than Id realised. Theres also several plugged holes in the cover which I hadn't noticed before. The top lever damage is actually pretty bad, top#4 is badly drilled and severely distorted. So, add the holes in the bolt and the case, making the missing parts and reinstating the detector, plus two keys from scratch, there's a lot of work to do. considering everything overall, rarity etc I'm back on the fence, still deciding if its worth it or not. Probably is, as it'll only cost me my time, but i have a gut feeling it'll turn into one of those jobs that's on the go for the next ten years.

Well the more I look at this lock the more I'm drawn into liking it. Having spent an hour or so looking at the 'lower deck' it's actually far more intriguing than I'd first thought, and the operation of the detector not quite as obvious as it first seemed.

Thankfully, apart from the missing detector mechanism, the lower deck is otherwise intact and undamaged, and removing the levers has revealed the smooth floating platform and split bolt stump:

Attachment 15987

Attachment 15988

The missing detector parts might be a bit more involved than first imagined but the quality and feel of this one has already proved enough draw me in.

The lower deck bolt assemblies are in really good shape with the case stumps for the detector mechanism still showing very precise and sharp mating points, and perhaps even more of a relief, the levers are all fully intact:

Attachment 15989

unlike the top deck levers, which have unfortunately seen a bit too much of the wrong sort of action:

Attachment 15990

All the pics here are as viewed when dismantled, I haven't blown out any of the muck or cleaned anything as yet.

I have though, spent hours rummaging through boxes of rusty antique blanks, and so far found one of the two that I'll need. Not as much choice as I'd hoped, and not very fancy with the stem or flutings, but at least it's one down one to go.
    I also discovered the drill pin for the key was distorted and slightly loose in the case. A bit of fine adjustment, some light peigning, and its now central to the keyhole in the cover, and also without any wobble or play. Not a pretty sight with all the holes drilled through the cap, but at least a key blank can now enter the lock.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	15991

This Marr definitely has something about it and I can already imagine it all made good, cleaned up and serviced with two silky smooth working keys. After my original 50/50 doubts if it'd be worthwhile I'm now thinking it's a definite yes.

Thread Information