Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default How to open broken Antique Schwab Safe

I need help with an old Schwab safe. A few years ago the safe was in perfect working condition then when we were away someone broke in and tried to open the safe. They never did get it open but they broke the dial, handle and hinges off. I want to get it open and replace the broken parts. I have been told the only way to open it now(without destroying it) is from the inside.

The attached pic is during our house remodel before they tried to break in.

I thought your site would be good place to start.

My plan is to first put some new hinges on the door then cut a 12 x 12 access hole in the back and try to get the door panel off, line up the wheel pack and open from the inside. After the safe is open and everything is fixed I would repair the access panel by welding a new plate inside, pore the pace with filler and weld on a plate on the rear.

My questions
    1. Can I get the back panel off the door with the door closed?
    2. If I do get the wheel pack lined up will be able to move the mechanize or does this style have a relocker?
    3. Where can I get replacement parts? Ebay?

Thanks
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe.jpg  

Forgot to say it had/has a yale lock but like I say the dial and handle have been broken off.

While I applaud the desire to open it yourself, an alternative you may want to consider is http://savta.org and click on "safe tech search". Either way, we'd love to hear how it works out. And I hope somebody here can offer some specific help, too!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    While I applaud the desire to open it yourself, an alternative you may want to consider is http://savta.org and click on "safe tech search". Either way, we'd love to hear how it works out. And I hope somebody here can offer some specific help, too!
    Thanks I'm a DIY kind of guy. I grew up on a farm and can fix just about anything that is mechanical.

If anyone has pics of the inside of a safe like mine that would help.

John

Some pictures of the safe in its current damaged condition might help a little. At the very least, we just like looking at pictures.

Do you have any pictures of the safe when it was open? For example, if there is a shelf, it might block removal of any access panel and greatly complicate efforts.

Default Schwab

John, The safe that is in the picture is the safe? That safe is a T20 burglary rated safe with a class B fire rating. Some have re-lockers some don't. The lock is a Yale OBB OR OB . The OBB is a 3 wheel lock and the OB 4 wheel lock. As far as cutting open the back, There is most likely a small locker in the top of the safe. Than ther can be wood or other type of dividers.
    I would find a safe tech in your area to open it with very little to no more damage than what the safe has. TJ

I love the way that criminals imagine knocking the hinges off a safe will get them in. Hammer off the combination dial, the escutcheon and the handle and they are sure to get in!

I saw an old Milner, I think it was, where the bad guys had hacksawed through the hinges. It must have taken hours of hard work! The owner, from then on, had to lift the door into the frame. He asked me what could be done, so I advised him to claim on his insurance and get a new safe. I never did hear back from him....

If you search antique-locks for "Schwab" (upper-right corner) there are 8 other threads on Schwab safes, some have useful images (I hope). For example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	502.8 KB 
ID:	15981 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	15982
    In this case the lock has a small round access "portal" near the middle of the door which would make this easier but then we see there is a second (locking?) door right behind it, plus some shelving, both of which would make access from the back much more difficult.

In another case:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	15983
    It looks like there is no convenient access to this lock without removing the entire interior panel of the door which is probably not possible from the back with the door closed. This safe also has shelving.

Knowing how your safe is laid out will greatly ease your task of access by drilling/cutting the back, or maybe I should say it will be slightly less impossible?

Thread Information