Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Diebold May 23 1871 Combination Lock Change Key

I have a safe which has an outer door with a 1871 diebold 3-wheel pack combination lock, and also has an inner door with a 1871 diebold combination lock which has a 4-wheel pack.

I noticed that both combination locks wheel packs have what appears to be a special 'square' hole that goes through the front of the lock body, then into each wheel, and then continues out through the cover. The 'square' hole has 3 square sides and one corner which is mitered/beveled. I set the lock to open and noticed that it looks like all of the holes will line up with each other when put in the sequence as if something was made to be slid into them.

I have read where lock manufactures made change keys for their locks. Is this hole for a change key? If so, how does it work in detail for this particular diebold lock? Is a change key necessary to reset the combination? Instead of making a change key even though I have access to a machine shop, where can I find and buy one?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0035.JPG   IMG_0037.JPG   IMG_0038.JPG   IMG_0039.JPG  

Yes, that is the change-key hole.

An important next detail is to identify the particular lock(s) you have. Perhaps one of the experts here can help with that.

Here is a page from a Mosler document that discusses change keys for various locks. On this page, Diebold change keys are shown that seem to match the description you gave for your locks. I can't guarantee that any of these is correct for your locks, but hey, it may be a good start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NS11006.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	15979

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Here is a page from a Mosler document that discusses change keys for various locks. On this page, Diebold change keys are shown that seem to match the description you gave for your locks. I can't guarantee that any of these is correct for your locks, but hey, it may be a good start
    Thanks wylk! It always amazes me how you guys find these things since there are so many times that I spent literally days n days trying to search something using every word possible and even going up to the 20th page of the search results but still couldn't find what others found in just minutes or hours.

Well will have to take a closer look at the key chart a little later tonight... me and my wife get the frustrating task of doing coil packs, plug wires, plugs, and a compression test on our 99 Ford Ranger 2.5L which Ford put 8 plugs and wires on a 4 cylinder (eyes rolling) but anyways N80841 key looks like the closest key so far.

Thanks again and hope ya have great day :o)

Thread Information