Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Serial number on a Stratford

Where would I find the serial number on a Stratford Sterling please?

Should be stamped on the end of the second bolt or centre bolt

No, it isn't there.

The top lock is a Kromer. The key is marked KROMER NOVUM on one side and A***** on the other side of the bow. Would that be the serial number of the lock? Or might it be the serial number of the safe?

The number stamped on the key is more likely the number of the lock and not the safe

I went back and had another look. It has got me beaten. I wonder if either it didn't have a serial number (implausible, I think they all did) or if it was somewhere on the door and has been painted over. I can't, even, see anywhere where a plate or label exists under the paint.

I dislike being beaten by something so simple but it certainly has me licked.

Chubby, identifying some Stratfords could be a nightmare, as they went through a period of Madness in the early 1970s whereby model identification was by the name printed on a thin aluminium strip stuck onto the handle!

The handles, although chunky were die-cast zinc and many cracked at the point where it projected from the block, common if doors swung back against a wall or neighbouring safe.

This of course led to handles being replaced or swapped and resulted with lots of confusion. At best, you could have a basic model like a Standfast, fitted with a new handle with no identifying name plate at all.
    At worst you could have a basic model Standfast but with a named handle swapped off a Consul or a Concord, falsely creating the impression the safe was of a far higher grade than it really was.

Used to see that a lot as hundreds of Stratfords dotted around here and removing the cover to inspect the boltwork was the only way if no serial numbers were visible. PS, Ratner's used lock and key numbers for ID but think they still had the bolt numbers as well. Might be worth a look on the top hinge, front face and the side in case it is one with a Stratford Sterling handle fitted.

Thank you for that. I am fairly confident that it is a sterling. I weighed it and the weight is bang on. Also it originally had that one seesaw live aed working on the lock bolt of the top lock.

Anyway I will examine the hinge to see if I can find anything there.

I seem to remember that these had a reputation for having a pretty tough door but with sides which were less good.

Well, I still can't find the serial number. I think I must own myself beaten by this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Thank you for that. I am fairly confident that it is a sterling. I weighed it and the weight is bang on. Also it originally had that one seesaw live aed working on the lock bolt of the top lock
    Unfortunately weighing it will probably be as reliable as smelling it, as they made countless similar models with only minor differences, brass dead relocker, glass, thermal link, barrier pegs in the door etc, so weight-wise some of them probably vary by ounces. Think they did about 4 versions of the Sterling from memory.

Also, from memory i'm pretty sure most if not all Stratfords had the see-saw live relockers.

Thread Information